Chapter 2

The gauzy white curtains floated gently in the morning breeze, slightly tickling my back as I sat at the end of the breakfast table. Birds called each other, different cries perforating the air. Though Nature conversed with a gay tone, the Taylors were silent, the morning mood being sullen.

Father studiously ignored the thick tension, buttering his toast with mechanical motions then evenly spreading marmalade on afterwards. Mother primly prepared her boiled egg, tapping cautiously on its hard shell and watching the cracks grow. I could see her hand shaking as she wielded the spoon, my mother being saddened by the absence of community in this family's tense morning. 

I simply nibbled at my blueberry and blackberry assortment, carefully avoiding the eyes of my parents. I was feeling quite indisposed towards them for their terrible acts of trying to palm me off to the nearest man offering, no matter his character or countenance. So, I was ignoring them. Perhaps, this was not the correct thing of one of my status to do but it was certainly satisfying to watch how wistful my mother looked at the loss of companionship. 

I suddenly thought of that dreadful Miss Winters and her simpering little ways. Though a hateful gossip and not one that I preferred to share leisure time with, she was a true society lady. If Miss Winters had been proposed to, she wouldn't stamp her feet and refuse until she was blue in the face. No, Miss Winters would hold her hands together and say demurely that she would accept if that's what her dear parents wanted to do. Miss Winters would never blatantly avoid conversation with her parents. She would engage them in lively bouts of words, no matter how displeased she felt about her impending match. 

That is the essential reason for why I was leading separate lives. Tumbling around with men - once exotic species that Mother said I would one day marry - had accustomed me to the typical personalities of my companions. Headstrong and stubborn were two prominent features of a male and it seemed, that as I had worked in equal (disguised equal) with them, I had grown so partial to their ways. 

Mother and Father certainly had no idea of the muddy and messy life that I led when the dresses were off and the swords were flourished. All they knew was that their eldest daughter was acting quite out of character, refusing the wishes of her parents, and betraying the gentle, dove-like nature that all ladies must garb themselves in. 

"Rosalia," my father said finally, trying to catch my gaze. "Your mother and I really believe you could benefit by accepting Lord Henry's proposal. A marriage is about bringing together families and strengthening blood lines. Marriage isn't about romance. Love is a silly concept and not one young ladies should be immersing themselves in." 

"But Father, I detest him. You expect a marriage pair to be able to produce suitable heirs but yet I can barely have a conversation with that vain excuse of a man! I would rather die a single old hag than coddling him!"

"Oh do be quiet Rosalia, stop making such a hasty judgment on a man you barely know. You will marry him if your father promises you to him. You will not disgrace your family like Josephine," Mother said suddenly, ripping through the conversation like a knife. 

The table grew eerily quiet at the mention of my estranged sister. I dropped my cutlery to my plate with a loud clatter and my mother got up and dismissed herself. Father pressed his fingers to his temple tiredly, looking weakened at the mention of his long-gone daughter. Dropping his napkin to his plate, he slid an embossed gold envelope across the table towards me. Wriiten in spidery black ink, my name was boldy proclaimed on the front.

"This was left for you this morning," my father said to me with his eyes not meeting my own. He left the room: my letter and I the only inhabitants.

I pulled off the wax seal which is not one that I recognised; a bad sign. The insignia did not belong to Victoria or any of my relatives. Immaculately folded over three times, the paper was thick and heavy, of an cream colour.