Chapter 16

"You are enchanting, milady," he complimented me, kissing my hand with his eyes trained deep into me, working his webs of seduction. "It is a wonder that you are unwed, with such a lovely countenance."

"And you are cunning," I sallied back, with a smile on my face. "To not have to be clapped into prison by all those cuckolded husbands that you have stolen wives from."

"I am loved, it is true," he proclaimed innocently. "The ladies are pulled towards me, and I learnt that you must already appreciate what you are given."

"I think it is the line between giving and taking, that you walk," I said, shaking my head at him and wresting my hand from his delicate grasp.

"I humbly admit that I have been light-fingered of late. Mayhap's you will let me steal you away as well?"

"And on that note, I must take my leave."

"You tease me so cruelly, my fairest butterfly."

"Good bye Mr Sarellsis," I refused his entreaties with a light smile then glided away to another area of the brunch.

Mr Sarellsis was the money manager of the Lord and Lady Winter, handling their estate's income and other managerial matters. He also was a profound flirt, having stolen away with several ladies in the dead of night, if the talk could be believed. Though, with the conduct that he had just displayed towards me, I might as well have been the eighth if he had entered his game of flirting.

The young man- around thirty or so- was of good features that God had blessed him with. Having dark hair, blurred between black and dark brown, and dark eyes that seemed to smoulder at you, it was no wonder that ladies would swoon at his feet. He was lean, but still strong and I saw that he wore his clothes well, and fashionably.

However, if you dared to dance with Mr Sarrellsis, you had not the slightest in what you were promising, for I did believe it when the young girls gossiped of how he could talk you right into a bed- such an outrageous statement, yet readily backed up by the man's character.

"Ah, Miss Taylor," Mrs Gilcroft accosted me, losing none of her enthusiasm or her poor clothing sense. GrandMonster would have fainted at the sight of her.

The red haired, buxom woman was dressed in a light yellow which might have become her when she was younger, but did absolutely nothing for her as she grew old, the dress hanging in all the wrong places and appearing as if it was a token from her childhood.

"Oh, Mrs Gilcroft," I replied, with as much happiness as I could muster for the pernicious woman. "It is such a delight to see you."

"And you as well, young lady," she returned, her voice booming throughout the room that made me cringe. "It has been a great deal of time since we last talked."

And I am happy for each more minute of time that was gifted me, I thought miserably.

"Your engagement party, was it not?" she pressed on, her beady little eyes poking holes through me. "Such a shame what occurred. What an improper young man. Did you hear that he was back?"

"Not at all," I replied sarcastically and unable to hold it in.

"That is a surprise," she eyed me thoughtfully. "Well, I am sorry to inform you but the Mr Hartley and his wife- that's your sister by the way- are back in town."

"Really?" I asked her, in mock disbelief. "What a shock."

"Well, it must be hard for you dear," she reassured me, patting my arm. "That sister of your's stole him away from you, nasty thing she did-"

"I should remind you, Mrs Gilcroft," I interrupted her icily. "That you are referring to my sister, and that I believe you tried to do the very same thing, when you tried to attract the attentions of my father, when my mother and father were to be wed. You nearly succeeded as well, though not quite, seeing as my sister was far the prettier one than you ever were."