Chapter 3

"May I just say, Miss Taylor, that you look absolutely ravishing on my arm tonight," Henry said as we twirled around the centre of the room.

"Thank you," I said through gritted teeth, trying to remain amiable. Is he implying that I am less attractive when by myself? 

"What do you think of this evening? I hope to use the influences of this ball for when we have our engagement party. The layout is really quite lovely," he said, lowering his hands further down to my hips.

"Sir, may I please remind you that we are not actually engaged," I said, desperately squirming so that his hands were forced upwards. And we never will be. 

"Rosalia, my dear, it is but a matter of time before you see the change I am bringing to you," Pig said. Heed your own advice, my dear, and lay off the caramel candies. "You are just shy of my magnaminous presence." Magnaminous presence, my foot. If he was magnaminous, I was a bunny-rabbit.

We danced the remainder of the song in an uncomfortable silence (as in, I was uncomfortable and he was self-satisfied) and as the final notes drew to a close, I excused myself with a deep sigh to get some refreshments. I wandered over to the drinks table and took a finely-encrusted glass full of punch. The taste was citrus-y and light, a perfect treat.

The hordes of people on the dancefloor slowly broke away to bid their farewells and head home for the night. It was, after all, close to midnight. A slow tap on my shoulder woke me from my reverie. I turned around to face Gerald, whose ginger coloured hair was ruffled slightly and sweat covered clumps stuck to his damp forehead.

He reached for my hand, bringing it up to his lips. "Miss Taylor, I uh, would like just to say youlookedverybeautifultonight." he said, his words blurring together to create a jumbled mess.

"Ah... thank you Gerald. You also looked very splendid tonight," I remarked, pretending to admiring his attire. Dressed in moss green and red wasn't exactly the most attractive colour combination but he was sweet.

 “I am expected to leave but I hope we will be able to see each other again, Miss Taylor,” Gerald said, backing away, tripping over a table leg but yet remaining upright. I was vaguely impressed.

“You too, Gerald,” I replied with a small smile before turning my back and walking out the nearest doors. Gerald was cute and sweet and nice, but timid was not exactly my type.

The fresh air seeped through my lungs as the smell of sweat and intoxication slowly faded. I placed my hands on the ivory banister and stared out over the garden. This exit over-looked a small pond and lush green fields decorated with small yellow flowers that danced in the cool night breeze.

My plan for finding a suitable groom hadn’t been fulfilled tonight. Henry was a fool as always, so my views on his proposal hadn’t changed. Gerald was… Gerald and Will... Will was elusive and incomparably handsome to any other man I had ever met. But my chances of nailing down a man like him were close to impossible.

The bells chimed for midnight. “Cinderella’s fantasy has ended,” I murmured to myself.

Footsteps sounded from behind me. I swivelled around to face the masked stranger. A low throaty chuckle echoed from his mouth as Will approached me.

“That is just a fictional fairytale parents spin to their children to gain control over them,” he said, a small smirk on his lips. "Remember, we must take leave of the ball before the clock strikes twelve, or you'll be turned into a scullery maid."

“One must believe there is some good in the world. And, besides all the best things are fiction,” I retorted, moving my hands behind my back, still holding onto the railing.