Chapter 6

A.N The song from the side (Dead, My Chemical Romance) is dedicated to the squirrel in this chapter. You'll understand when you read on, readers.

Tonight had been interesting, to say the least. Lord Darrows had been in a mighty brutal temper and from what I could hear over my scratchy singing and my imperfect piano playing; he had continued his consistent rudeness and my parents had nearly broke through their polite demeanour. It had been trying, and I felt doubly sure that Lord Darrows would not be calling upon us again. I noted these thoughts down in my diary, lightly writing upon the thick paper. My journal was extremely handsome: a soft violet cover with a matching ribbon to keep my place.

Sebastian however, I continued writing, was a delight for my parents. My mother seemed to invite him as my suitor - though he was far from anything of the sort - and my father was excited that he shared the same interests as he did. It was quite amazing how a thoroughly disagreeable man like Lord Darrows could have such a charming and amiable son. But then again, I reconsidered, look at what proper and high-society parents I had, yet I enjoyed fighting with the men.

Last night hadn't been all bad. Sebastian had entertained me greatly while I had played music, whispering jokes and mildly inappropriate anecdotes. I remembered one moment...

"So, have you decided on the names of your future children?" Sebastian had asked, a smile in his voice. "With your soon-to-be husband, Piggy, of course. I was thinking... Little Piggy Number 1, Little Piggy Number 2 and... Bruno."

I giggled, pausing my escalade of music. "Lovely names Sebastian... yet why Bruno?"

"Oh, there was this horrid little boy growing up near me: ginger hair, fat little body and the highest most annoying voice you have ever heard. Figured that was a detestable enough name for any of your future progeny with Father Pig."

"How cruel of you," I said teasingly. "Remember it's Lord Henry Chalmers of Wilkinshire. Note the Wilkinshire part- did I tell you the massive estate and the billions of riches- the Wilkinshire part is vastly important. At least to my parents, they'll be marrying me off to a walking sum of money in their eyes."

"It's a pity that the riches don't go with the features," Sebastion mused."No offence but he looks like a frog, in all honesty. Have you tried kissing him? Perhaps, he'll turn into a handsome prince!"

"He's no frog; he's an absolute toad," I declared firmly. "No amount of kisses would change that specimen into any handsome man."

"Perhaps you need to change species," Sebastian whispered. I turned to him, my eyebrows raised, asking him a question.

"Got any frogs for me?"

I did so wish Sebastian could supply me with some enchanted suitors that would take me away from the horrible Pig, marrying me and giving me my freedom. Sadly, my friend was not a miracle worker and he didn't really have any suitable cousins for me either. A great pity, for Sebastian was of okay looks, not that I saw him in such a way.

Putting down my pen, I sighed. My chest heavy against my sheets as I lay on my bed, I thought gloomily on the upcoming luncheon which Mother was expecting me to attend this very afternoon, at my dreaded suitor's so-called wonderful estate. Mother and Father were vastly anticipating the visit, perhaps hoping Wilkinshire was such a beautiful and grand place that I would look past my previous feelings for Pig and rush straight into his arms, ready and willing.

I was nowhere near as superficial as that. Forget riches, appearance and grand words for I was all about a man's character. Of course, if that man had those beforesaid bonuses attached on, then I would be no nitwit to turn it down. Yet, character held a higher value than hereditary traits; I had to be able to have an intelligent conversation with a man.