Personality! Er... I don't mean the song

Okay, you know the gig: Hancock is always high, Star Paladin Cross doesn't have emotions, Piper is paranoid, Sulik is overly spiritual, Boone is always bored, Paladin Danse is suicidal... Yes. Of course, it's all true. But that one characteristic trait is never a character's entire personality.

It's important to keep in mind that all those characters are deeper and more levelled than that. I know it's almost impossible not to build the whole personality on one trait, especially with fanfiction, but you should remember about the character's entire personality when you write.

Nick Valentine is an important character in my Fo4 book. I know he has to be deeper than that, but I can't help but see him as that noir detective archetype. I build his whole character on that. It was hard for me to remember that I had to give him more depth! It did wonders to replay the game. I know his dialogue by heart now, but guess what? It helped.

So please, guys. Don't write about characters until you're sure you know them from the inside out. I avoid writing for Deacon, Boone, Curie, and a few others because I don't know them well enough yet. Sometimes, it's unavoidable to use some characters. Maybe I have to ask the Railroad to decode a Courser chip for me. Then, I have to rely on my limited knowledge. But still, it's worth knowing a few facts.

Here's some less-known canon/confirmed stuff that you might wanna know:

Paladin Danse isn't just a soldier through and through. He's also a mechanic (did you know that?) and a pretty big nerd for pre-War tech. His favorite genre of music is country. He's afraid of heights.

Hancock isn't just a junkie. He does care for those folks, and he's genuinely concerned he might be becoming a tyrant. He likes jazz music. It's obvious he knows more history than most people in the Wasteland, so here's another hobby.

Deacon likes polka music. He's what you would call a nihilist. His eye color is blue, and natural hair color is ginger. He's afraid of heights.

Nick Valentine is just a noir detective through and through, and I'm sorry. I don't know what I can add about him that you don't already know. Like Danse, he's a mechanic. He likes cats. He probably knows some literature, taking how he quotes Edgar Allan Poe. His favorite genre of music is jazz.

Butch DeLoria - not just a bully. Mummy's boy. Confirmed atheist. He's scared of radroaches. He doesn't actually like being called a Vault Dweller.

Star Paladin Cross is one of the few people who know the Codex by heart, some others being Arthur Maxson or Proctor Quinlan. She doesn't like using melee weapons even though she has a super sledge. She didn't want to be promoted to Star Paladin in fear of being removed from active duty (not unlike Paladin Danse, who refused for the same reason), but eventually agreed. She's a cyborg, but draws a strict line between herself and the Institute's androids (later known as Gen3 synths).

I can do some digging for other characters if you want, just state the need and I'll update this chapter.