Chapter One: Dreams and Disappearances

Welcome back to the Mostly Normal series! This is the third work in the series. @hermionegirl13 is in Bold and @Sissytobitch10seconds is in normal text. This book is dedicated to Mochi-chan, who was ecstatic about Fred and Madeline's engagement.

Fred slumped against his fiance's shoulder, exhausted from working with the new recruits. Madeline smiled down at him. "Tired dear?" she asked.

Fred nodded and then looked up at her and pouted as she ignored him. When he whimpered, she giggled and leaned down to kiss the son of Athena.

"You're just begging for attention, aren't you Fred," she winked at her fiance with a smile. "Well, it's working. Why don't you take a nap? I'll take it from here."

Fred tried to protest, but Madeline was stubborn. Finally, Madeline forced him to the bedroom to take a nap. He went reluctantly.

As soon as Fred got to his bed, he crashed, slipping into demigod dreams. And boy, were they demigod dreams.

Fred felt himself drifting through something that seemed to be the consistency of clouds. He floated for some time before he crashed down onto the earth, though he noticed that he was no longer human, but rather an owl.

As he swooped down and captured a vole within his hands, his head darted about, looking for anything else. When he spotted her, his heart leaped for joy. On the ground was a small mouse, she was completely two different colors.

Fred spread his wings and swooped down to catch the multi-colored mouse, the vole having disappeared.

The mouse squeaked in fear and scampered away before Fred could catch her. Fred hooted in frustration and swooped after her.

Fred landed on the ground, his claws turned to feet as they touched the soft soil, he looked up and saw the mouse, somehow in the tree. He sighed and walked over to her, "Hey Maddie," he whispered, bringing the small animal down to the ground.

The mouse blinked. "Fred, what are you doing?" she squeaked in a very Madeline-like voice.

Fred grinned. "Bringing you back down," he said. The mouse-Madeline rolled her eyes.

"Set me down so I can change back," she squeaked. Fred did so.

When both of the demigods were on the ground, they fell into an embrace with each other. Fred grinned as he stroked his fiance's bubble gum pink hair. They stayed like that for what felt like forever for two very ADHD demigods. When they finally separated, they began to walk off into the woods that surrounded them, hand in hand, as they always did.

"Fred?"

Fred jolted awake. He was crashed on his bed face-down. He rolled over and blinked.

"Fred, you're awake," said Reyna in a businesslike tone, "Good. It's almost dinner time."

"Already?" Fred sat up and tried to fix his hair. Reyna nodded. "Scipio's waiting just outside the barracks," she said, "I can take you if you're worried about being late."

Fred shook his head and then looked around the bedroom, still feeling as if he were gliding through the air. He raced into the kitchen and tugged on a pair of worn shoes, seeing no sign of his fiance. He ran out of the door and bolted for where they were having dinner, he smiled as he saw Reyna follow behind him.

Once Fred was seated with Madeline and a couple of the other demigods, Reyna stood. "Senatus Populusque Romanus, my friends! Let us begin!"