Chapter Five: Finally Over

"The river!" Abokado shouted, pointing at a small stream. Fred buried his face in his hands and then crouched down, allowing his legs to rest from the walking that they had just endured.

"That's not a river honey," Madeline said, putting her daughter down and crouching down next to her soon-to-be husband.

"But Mama! I know that this is the river you want! I just know it," she said, looking rather dejected.

Fred sighed. "You've said that about every single stream we've passed, sweetheart," he told the little girl gently, "even if it's just a trickle of water. You need to look for a big, wide river, not a little, skinny stream like this one." he gestured at the little stream in front of him. His adopted daughter sighed and put her little hand in the water. "There could be a fish in here," she muttered, "you never know."

"Let's just keep going, Abbie," said Madeline. Abbie was a nickname she'd just barely started calling the little spirit, who loved it. Fred took his daughter onto his back and stood up with a groan. "Keep walking," he sighed, and Madeline chuckled. The pair exchanged a smile, then restarted their long hike.

"Daddy, is that what you mean?" she asked, pointing to a stream that had appeared next to them. Fred turned to look, his eyes widened as he saw a river completely made out of fish, there was no water, just a river sized stream of fish.

"Uh, I guess it is," Madeline said, surprised, "good eye, Abbie."

Abokado beamed with pride, squirming slightly on Fred's back. "Hey," the son of Athena protested, "you're going to knock me over."

"Uh, Fred," said Madeline suddenly, "is the river whispering?"

Fred stopped. Suddenly he could hear a faint voice. He listened hard and finally made out words. The golden herring hides within, but once you catch it, one person you know will die. This is your warning. Proceed at your own risk.

Fred blinked. Madeline paled. Abokado stopped giggling. The three of them were still as if Medusa had turned them to stone. One person you know will die...

Finally, Madeline looked up at Fred, who was pale. She touched his shoulder. "If you don't want to do this," she said, "we don't have to."

"No," said Fred, "we have to do this. It's the only way to free Nami."

Madeline chewed on her lip, nervous about who would die if they were to find and contain the golden fish. She set her daughter down on the ground and waded into the fish, her boyfriend and daughter followed with her.

After a short time, Abokado yelled, "GOT IT!" she held up a clenched fist with a shiny gold fish trapped inside. It wriggled twice and then fell limp.

Different words whispered from the sea of fish. You have got the fish, now one of your friends will pay. Go now, run, and you might catch him before he expires.

"Who?" Madeline whispered, terrified. The voice paused, then whispered, Quinn Nightingale.

Abokado gasped and began to cry. Fred took the golden herring from her so she wouldn't drop it.

"N-not Sh-Sh-Sheep Man!" she cried, "P-please!"

"Come on, Abbie," Fred said, "We have to go." he picked up his daughter and climbed out of the fish river, pulling Madeline up after him. Her face was stark white with shock. All Fred could think was, Quinn is going to die.