VII. Family, Friends, Chaos

Anaya's POV

I woke up early the next morning and went about my routine. I got down to see mum and Zara preparing breakfast.

"You do not need to do it, mum," said I, "I am supposed to serve you."

"Aren't you my daughter? Don't mothers cook for their daughters?"

She effectively shut me up. In the end, after a whole lot of convincing, she let me cut the fruit and warm the milk. I noticed that Zara was doing the same as well. Oh, mum!

Ashar had gone jogging with his dad, and once they returned, we had breakfast consisting of mother-made aloo parathas, and tons of other stuff mum made, since I was 'a piece of bone with a layer of skin', according to her. Midway through, I was informed Ashar's grandmother and grandfather were coming, along with a special guest.

"They must be here, right about...Now," dad uttered, right before the doorbell rang.

"I will go receive them," informed Ashar as he got up to answer the door.

I quickly finished my food and excused myself, going behind Ashar into the living room, when I heard his grandmother commenting, "Where is your wife, Ashar? Isn't she supposed to be answering the door? What a lazy wife you have."

I quickly came into their view and walked up to them, greeting them and saying, "I am sorry, Ashar decided to go before I could come. I hope I haven't offended you."

"It is all right, dear," answered Ashar's grandfather. He seemed to be a warm-hearted old man with wrinkles of old age. It was easy to see that he was handsome in his youth, though. That is where Ashar gets his genes from. No wonder.

Ashar's grandmother was beautiful, and she seemed regal, quite like a queen. She probably was the leader of the house. Then, my eyes settled on a gorgeous lady in her early twenties. She was dressed modestly. Although her face was caked in makeup, she was way prettier and slimmer than I am, naturally.

"Meet Bahira. Bahira, Anaya. Anaya, this is my closest friend since childhood," said Ashar.

"Ashar! I missed you so much, you have no idea!" said Bandariya, oh sorry, Bahira. She hugged Ashar so tight, I thought I heard a crack from his ribs. I thought only I had a right to hug Ashar like that.

Soon enough, the rest of Ashar's family came into the living room. They greeted them and then went back into the kitchen, along with Ashar, leaving me all alone. I was used to facing that be everyone else, so I tried to not let it bother me much. I just followed after them.

"Ewww! Indian food, don't you people know I dislike oily food? I am on a diet!" Bandariya Bahira spoke.

"I am sorry beta, I will cook you better food alright," my mum replied.

I am forgotten now. I wish I was given this much attention when I was younger. I would become a spoiled brat, and then I would not demand theirs. I understood the phrase 'Being alone even when surrounded by a crowd' ever since a young age, but it hit me completely now, especially seeing Bahira touching Ashar in such a way, flirting with him subtly, and Ashar responding positively. Itna jaldi bhool gaya ki teri biwi hai, haan? You immediately forgot you had a wife, huh? Am I really that bad?

Grandma, meanwhile, decided to comment on my stillness. "Why are you so shocked? Won't you serve us? Come on, we are famished!"

I directly served them all. After breakfast, everyone was sitting and having fun, like they had done with me, but they seemed to be enjoying more. I was in the kitchen, cooking so-called western food for Her Highness the Monkey when Ashar came behind.

"What are you preparing?" He asked coldly.

"Western food, European food. Grilled chicken, pasta, Grilled cheese sandwiches," I replied halfheartedly, hoping Ashar would notice, which he didn't.

"Okay, good."

"Don't you think Bahira is a bit too close to you? She is too clingy and flirty with you. I don't like it," I pointed out, wanting to see his reaction.

"No, why, are you jealous? If you are, don't be. We are best friends, and wives do not interfere in matters between best friends," he voiced, reopening those wounds given to me by him years ago.

I finished cooking lunch, and served everyone, making sure to put in a little extra chili in Bahira's plate. I then felt bad for doing that, so I did it to mine too, since I want to see Ashar's reaction.

One bite later, dramebaaz started crying. Ashar panicked and gave her my untouched glass of water. "You should know that she isn't used to such different tastes," scolded grandma. Just then, I choked, or tried to, on the chili powder.

"The water is in the glass, Anaya," said my beloved. I filled a new glass and drank from it. I couldn't believe it, this husband of mine. We haven't even grown close enough, and he is drifting away.

After lunch, I was being ignored. Bahira got into the spotlight, casting their new Daughter-in-law to the side. She fit into the family so easily. I do not belong here. I decided to leave the house. I wanted to go someplace tranquil, the place I went when I wanted to leave this world.