IX. Subtle Seduction

Anaya's POV

I felt a bit upset that Bandariya hadn't left yet, but I felt that Grandma was warming up to me. Ever since I came back home after the fainting incident, everyone has been treating me like some sort of princess. They wouldn't let me do any work, they wouldn't let me cook food for them either. They would tell me to rest, rest, and rest some more. Zara kept me company, but sitting in one place was so boring. Ashar wouldn't let me move when I was home, and mom would take his place in his absence.

Geez, people! I just fainted that day, I am not pregnant.

However, they all showered me with more love than I have received in my whole 22 years of living. Grandma would come to my room, we would awkwardly chat a little, and then she would leave. I had enough of sitting and looking at the same walls for the past 3 days, and so I decided to go down to the kitchen before anyone comes and keeps me in.

"Why are you here, beta? Go and rest. You are still pretty weak and thin," said mom.

"I just missed you and this kitchen, and cooking for you, ma," I justified. Just then, I saw Bandariya walk in with Zara, who looked bored out of her mind.

"Here, let me do it, ma," said Bandariya, taking the dish from mom. She is my mom, not hers, why the hell would she call her that?

"Don't worry, Banda-Bahira, I will do it, you are a guest, you should rest," I took the plate from her and walked to the dining room, showing Bandariya her actual place in this house, a mere guest.

Soon after, Ashar and dad came home. Ashar, seeing me working, looked at me sternly, and back to dad, who gave a little smile.

We were having dinner, when I felt a hand on my leg. I felt patterns being drawn on my leg, and my breath hitched, I quickly looked to my right to see Ashar eating his food innocently, trying to hide a sly smile.

"W-What are you trying to do, Ashar?" I interrogated him under my breath.

"Trying to seduce you, is it working?" He asked, so calmly.

I choked on my food, for real this time. My spouse looked panicked, and helped me drink my glass of water. I recovered fairly quickly, and looked at the others on the table quite awkwardly, while almost all of them stared back concerned.

"Excuse us please, I need to take care of my wife," informed Ashar, and took me upstairs, to our room.

"What happened back there, Ashar?" I questioned him again.

"I told you, I was seducing you, was it working?" He retorted.

"What do you think?"

"I think it worked," he replied, hugging me from behind. "Do you know how long I have been waiting to be alone with you? I want you to get well so we can have our honeymoon, and here you are, working. I am starting to think you don't think you have a husband."

"Oh Ashar, I know I have one, I am reminded of it every day, because of this beautiful family. You know I will never forget you," I assured him, and it was true.

How could I forget the one who helped me live, who gave me the courage to fight, though unknowingly? Ashar probably still doesn't know this.

"What is my dear thinking?" I was broken out of my thoughts by Ashar.

"Thinking about my husband."

"Don't be such a butt kisser," Ashar pushed me on the bed and laughed, showing off his pearly whites. I pulled him onto the bed and we embraced each other, welcoming the peaceful sleep.

************

The next morning went by as usual, Ashar getting up for work and not letting me do anything. Bandariya barged into our room and hugged Ashar, saying that she would miss him. Eager to take my job, huh!

However, I felt that something was fishy, as Bandariya's behavior was strange. Can you believe that she greeted me? I could see the glint of evilness in her eye before she left our room.

As I obviously couldn't obey Ashar's words, I left our sanctuary and went to walk down the stairs, but saw something shining on the third step. It looked a bit like oil.

That female monkey! I knew she was up to something. She probably expects me to be like one of those daughter-in-laws in the overdramatic soaps. I won't give her the satisfaction of watching me fall, so I went back up, got a wiper from our ensuite, and dragged the liquid to the side so I could pass.

If that monkey thinks she is so smart, then she must know that I haven't survived by being naïve. I am two steps ahead of her. I asked mom for advice on how to clean the oil spill, and she helped me, demonstrating and instructing me. Where do you find such a mother-in-law nowadays?

I knocked Grandma's room before entering because, manners. Once I entered, I saw grandma sitting on her rocking chair and scrutinizing me, or the door, probably.