Night Sight

(Castle Wyvern, Scotland; 994)

The sun had set. Night had fallen upon the Scottish Highlands. The moon, full and bright, lit up the sky alongside the small stars that dotted the heavens. 

Castle Wyvern was outlined by the moon's light and was glowing with fire from the torches that lined her walls. 

Peace seemed to make itself at home in the castle, as the occupants prepared themselves for a night of rest and sweet dreams. The refugees that were camped out in the courtyard within the walls were gathered around small campfires, men telling stories, mothers rocking their young ones to sleep, restless children running and playing with each other.

And up above their heads, looking down from on tops of the towers of the castle, creatures, huge and powerful, loomed like ghosts over the humans' heads. Groups of gargoyles stood atop the castle walls, keeping watch for any attackers that would dare try to bring harm to their home.

One such gargoyle, colored a grayed shade of violet, small dual horns above each of his dark, glaring eyes, built large and fit, obviously a very powerful male gargoyle, stood proudly. A long black mane flowing in the slight breeze. He glared out over the horizon, as if daring any living thing to so much a glance in the castle's general direction. As if such a small motion would provoke him to attack without warning.

"Goliath," a low, gravelly, yet wise, voice called out from behind the large gargoyle. 'Goliath' turned to look over his shoulder at whoever had called his name. It was another male gargoyle, though this one was a tanned grey color, obviously older than Goliath, and rounder, with two rows of three small horns ran backwards over his skull. White hair circled his head and flowed down into a thick beard, and down his back. He was probably a sight to behold in his younger years. Though with his age, came knowledge. Knowledge the former leader would pass to Goliath from time to time. 

The glare that was holding on to Goliath's face melted away, and gave way to a warm, soft smile at the sight of the Elder gargoyle. "Hello, old friend," Goliath spoke, nodding, before turning back to set his dark eyes back on to the horizon.

"Lad, you've been up here staring out at nothing since you awoke," The older gargoyle stated as he joined Goliath at his side, also staring out past the walls of the castle. "Don't you think it wise to come down and join the others?" he added, sounding like he was suggesting Goliath should do just that.

Goliath's throat rumbled as he sighed, though his eyes never faltered in their search for threats. "No," he said firmly, leaving no room for argument. "I will stay here and keep watch. You may go and join the others should you so desire," he continued. He heard the Elder sigh and could see him shake his head from the corner of his eye.

"Alright, lad. Alright. I'll leave you to your watch. But you should come down, and eat something soon," The Elder said. "You're no good when you're starving," he added with a chuckle. Goliath looked over at The Elder and smiled as well, nodding as a silent promise to feed himself, later. And with that The Elder turned to make his way back down to where the others were gathered around, eating and conversing, laughing at stories they told each other.

Goliath turned back, once again, to watch the horizon, smile still resting on his lips. But something caught his sharp eyes. Two silhouettes, flying in the sky. They were much too big to be simple birds. And they obviously were not human. "Could it be?" Goliath asked out loud as he squinted his eyes to get a better look at the two figures in the distance.

"What is it lad?" The Elder asked. He hadn't gone far and could hear Goliath's question. In fear of an invasion, The Elder ran back to Goliath's side and began scanning the ground for intruders. Seeing none, he looked to Goliath in confusion. But upon seeing the younger male staring out to the dark sky, he too, looked to find what was so strange.

And strange it was. A pair of gargoyles were making their way toward the castle.

One was obviously older and larger than the other. Having broad shoulders and larger, more defined features. The other was much younger, an offspring of the older perhaps. The thinner frame made the castle gargoyles believe a father and child were making their way toward the castle. And gargoyles no less.

Goliath and The Elder looked at each other in question. Should they allow these two strangers to simply come to castle? Or should they fly out meet them to assess if they were friend or foe? The two seemed to have the same idea as they both nodded and unfurled their wings, ready to take flight. 

"We will fly out and meet these newcomers," Goliath ordered as he flexed his wings and stood closer to the edge. His clawed toes curling over the edge of the stone. The Elder nodded as he tested his wings, with their tattered edges. Their faces set with determination as they both pushed off the wall and captured the wind currents in their wings, making their journey toward these new outsiders as swift as possible.