At The Castle

(Castle Wyvern, Scotland; 994)

It did not take long for the group of gargoyles to arrive back at the castle. Castle Wyvern, the castle dwellers had called it. It was even grander up close.

Landing just outside of the gates, the four finished their journey on clawed foot. The three males were speaking to each other, about something or other, the Princess wasn't listening. She was more interested in the intricate designs that lined the walls of the halls they walked, as well as the humans the group would pass by. 

The Princess would kindly smile and wave at these humans they passed. Or at least kindly for a gargoyle. To the humans, she seemed to be baring claw and fang, daring them to take a step toward them. This would leave them shaking. The Princess sighed; a bit put off by the humans' behavior. She had hoped that humans living in a castle full of gargoyles wouldn't be frightened by gargoyles. But she shrugged it off and continued to silently walk beside her father.

"Goliath," a new voice said. All talking stopped and all heads turned toward the owner of this new voice. There, standing at the top of a short flight of stairs, in a stone doorway, stood a short, big boned human male, dressed in captain's garb. "I was not aware we were having guests," this newcomer went on, looking over the father and daughter as he walked down the couple of steps and toward the group.

The King put a clawed hand on his daughter's shoulder as she stood beside him. They all looked down at this human, a human that showed no fear in the presence of gargoyles. The other humans were fearful, or at least wary of their kind. But this human spoke to The Elder and Goliath as if they were longtime friends. Perhaps they were.

"This is The King and Princess," Goliath started. "They seek a place of rest during their journey," he went on as he stepped forward in front of the group.

"Royal gargoyles?" the human questioned as he rubbed his chin and once again looked over the duo of strange gargoyles. Well, they certainly dressed differently than the warrior gargoyles the captain was used to seeing. "I see no reason why they cannot stay among us, here, in Castle Wyvern." 

Hearing this information, The Princess's ears perked up, and a smile broke out over her face. Finally! She could rest her wings in a place she wouldn't be constantly worried about being smashed to rubble during the day.

"Many thanks," The Princess said before her father could open his mouth. She gave a deep curtsy to the human before standing to her full height and smiling down at him with her hands clasped in front of her. The captain gave a crooked smile in return. 

"From both of us," The King added as he also bowed in thanks.

"I would assume it to be an honor to be among royal gargoyles," The captain replied before he bowed his head to them all then turned and began to walk back the way he came.

"Goliath. It's nearly sunrise," The Elder said, wisdom dripping off his words. "Perhaps it would be wise to show their highnesses to their place of rest. And leave the introductions for tomorrow night," The Elder went on, a small knowing smile finding its way to his weathered face.

Goliath hummed in agreement. "Perhaps you are right," he said before taking the lead, The Elder waiting behind to bring up the rear, behind the royals.

The Princess looked toward her father, smile still firmly set in place on her teal beak. The King smiled down at his daughter. He ran the back of a claw against her cheek before pushing her forward to follow Goliath.

The group made their way deeper into the castle and climbed many stairs in their journey to reach the tallest tower.

"I know I should be grateful for not having to fly anymore, but my feet are aching," The Princess mumbled to herself.

"Daughter," The King said in a way that warned her to hold her tongue. The Princess looked over her shrugging shoulder with a sheepish smile. She hadn't meant to be heard. How embarrassing.

A soft chuckle resonated behind them all. Both the King and Princess turned to look at the Elder, who held an amused look on his mug. "Quite the spirit you got in you, lass," he said with a smirk and raised brow. The Princess gave the same look she had given her father.

"We're nearly there," Goliath spoke, gaining everyone's attention quickly. Impressive.

Soon they were stepping back out into the moonlight, at the top of the tallest tower of the castle. The Princess ran to the side and peered over the edge, toward the horizon. It was a breathtaking sight. The land, bathed in moonlight. The forest in the distance, silhouetted against said light. Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

"You both with rest on this pedestal," Goliath said, gesturing to a large pedestal that laid in the middle of the rooftop. It was large enough to hold all four of them. 

"I must thank you once again, for allowing us to stay with you all," The King said as he stood beside the two castle dwellers. The Princess walked over and hopped up on to the pedestal, letting out a yawn, displaying how tired she was.

"The pleasure is all ours, your highness. Rest well," The Elder said before moving to the edge and jumping over, gliding down to level below. 

The sun wouldn't rise for a few more minutes. The Elder had just enough time to inform the rest of the clan of the castle's royal visitors. And to scare the youngsters into behaving themselves, at least while in the presence of The King and Princess.

 The King made his way onto the pedestal and took his place standing behind his daughter.

"Rest well, your majesties," Goliath said with a bow, before making his way to his own pedestal that sat in front of the father and daughter. He knelt down, with a clawed hand on one of his knees, like a guardian to both the Royal Gargoyles and Castle Wyvern.

Sunlight slowly crept into the sky and the warrior gargoyles all struck their fierce poses, while the Royals stood proudly with The King's claws resting on his daughter's shoulders and The Princess with her own claws clasped in front of her chest.