Meeting in The Night

(Forest Outside of Castle Wyvern, Scotland; 994)

A pair of gargoyles, an older male and young female, flew just over the treetops of the forest below them. The moon and stars provided enough light to show that a castle rested on a cliff's edge, far off in the distance. The older of the two smiled, silently thanking the high heavens for finally blessing the pair with a place of rest.

This older, male gargoyle had obviously seen better days. Small scars littered his exposed pale, yellow flesh. What wasn't exposed was clothed with a dark brown tunic, covered in tarnished silver armor, littered with evidence of battles well fought. Long salt and pepper hair was pulled back into a low ponytail at the base of his skull, his fringe was held back by a jeweled, gold crown, which was framed by large ram-like horns. And a large, circular, golden pendent rested against his broad chest.

The smaller, female gargoyle had a dainty figure. Her pale teal skin gleamed in the moonlight, holding no noticeable scaring or imperfections. A long tan dress adorned her body, with a red belt fastened low around her hips. Her long, thick, black hair was pulled back in a large bun at the back of her head, held there by two golden rings, framed by long horns twisting backwards.

The duo was soon flying over a vast plain, leaving the forest behind them. This area that led toward the castle was long, wide and empty. The closer the two got to the castle the more curious the young female got.

"Father?" the young gargoyle looked over at the older one, who in turned looked at her before focusing on the castle ahead of them. "Do you know of this castle?" she asked still staring curiously at the older gargoyle.

"I do not, my daughter," the older said. "This area is unknown to me. I can only hope that whoever may inhabit this castle, is generous enough to allow us at least a night of rest," the male said before smiling. "Your old father's wings are not quite what they used to be," he joked, glancing at his offspring with a soft grin.

The young female rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Oh father, you still have many years to spare in this world," she said as she looked forward again, toward the castle, a prideful smile resting on her beak-like muzzle. And then something caught her golden eyes. "Father, I do believe we have company," she said as they glided a little lower.

"I do believe you're right, my young one," the older said. Since they were flying instead of riding horses, it was clear that this 'company' were fellow gargoyles. Two of them. The elder hoped they were peaceful, and not on their way to attack him and his daughter. "We will land here, and wait for them to reveal their intentions," he said with authority in his voice. The female only nodded and followed the old timer down toward the ground. The two landed on their clawed feet and stood side by side, awaiting the arrival of these gargoyle strangers from the castle.

In the few minutes that it took for the castle-dwelling gargoyles to arrive at the father and daughter's location, the young female had straightened out her dress so that it laid flat against her legs. Her clawed hands were clasped behind her back, and she stood proudly beside her father as he too straightened his armor before he placed one clawed hand over his daughter's shoulders and the other behind his back. A picture-perfect royal gargoyle family.

Goliath and The Elder landed a bit way from the duo, and walked the short distance between them, until the groups stood but a few feet away from each other. They four stared at each other for a moment as if sizing each other up.

Time seemed to stand still as the two castle dwellers both dropped down into a kneeling position, each a clawed hand to their chest.

"Your majesties," The Elder said, both surprise and respect was evident in his voice as he bowed his head deeply to the pair.

"It is an honor to be in your presence," Goliath said, his deep voice resonated in the daughter's bones, sending a slight shiver down her back. Goliath copied The Elder's position before standing to his full height, which matched the male gargoyle stranger. Only, he didn't seem to be a stranger anymore. Goliath's wings wrapped around his body, forming a cloak of sorts.

The daughter could tell that a leader of a clan had to be standing before her. Leadership seemed to pour from every pore on his body. And she was intimidated by him, and not just because he towered over her.

"What brings you, and your young daughter, to our castle, Sire" The Elder asked as he to, returned to his standing position, wrapping his wings around himself in the same way Goliath did his own. It was strange for the castle dwellers to receive visitors, even stranger when the visitors were part of the Royal Family.

"We do not wish for trouble," The Gargoyle King said holding up a clawed hand as if he were trying to hold off a fight. The young female had a feeling that they would get no trouble from these two though. If they sought trouble, they would have attacked instead of bowed with respect. "We simply seek a place of rest, for but a single night. Then we shall leave you to your own, back on our way," The King went on trying to not sound like a burden.

"You are more than welcome to stay at the castle," Goliath said, almost instantly. He turned to the side and held is arm out from beneath his wings toward the castle, inviting the royals to stay amongst their own kind.

"Aye. Goliath is right. We would be most honored if the both of you rested with us for as long as you need," The Elder said, nodding. He could tell that the King was exhausted and weak. He had caught the same sight on his own face, in shined armor and shields. And if the way the young princess would cut her eyes toward her father was anything to go on, The King wasn't in the best shape to be flying at present.

"You have our thanks, both of you," The King said with a tired, yet relieved, smile resting on his beak. The King bowed his head and his daughter curtsied in thanks for their kind gesture.

And with that short conversation, it seemed a friendship had been formed between the males, while the female felt safer knowing she would be among her own kind again. For the time being at least. The quartet began to make their way up a hill that led to a steep drop. The wind there was strong enough to lift the four up to glide back to the castle.