Come Nightfall

Vikings.
It had to Vikings.

Who else would try attacking Castle Wyvern. And at a most inopportune time.

For the Vikings at least. 

Only minutes before nightfall. Only minutes before the truth was revealed. Only minutes before gargoyles took to the skies once more.

The sun's last rays slowly disappeared over the horizon, and swiftly, stone began to crack and fall way from the great winged creatures thought to be only myth.

Great growls, roars, snorts, and hisses resonated from the walls of the castle as sleeping gargoyles awoke and were greeted with unwelcome guests. And a great battle followed with the gargoyles taking to the sky. 

"Your majesties, stay here. You will be safe," Goliath said as he held one of the Vikings, their leader mostly likely, by the arm, dangling him over the edge. 

The elder royal gargoyle, still firmly planted on their pedestal, gave a nod. The young princess took a step forward, curiosity in her eyes, only to be held back by her father keeping his clawed hands on her shoulders. She looked back at him before she replaced herself in her original spot.

The glint from a sword could be seen as the Viking drew his sword, intending to take Goliath's head. But as the sword began its decent, the great gargoyle rose his hand to catch the blade. All eyes widened, yet eagerly awaited what would come next. And then the blood trickled from Goliath's palm.

"Fight men! They are not invincible!" the Viking cried out to his men, then threw himself backwards, kicking away from the stone wall, taking Goliath with him. The royals were not concerned for Goliath, his wings would hold true and carry him to safety.

The Princess then hopped off the pedestal that her and her father rested on, before her father could restrain her again, and ran to the edge to watch the scene unfold.

"It is true we are not invincible," she young female muttered, golden eyes darting back and forth, trying to catch every movement. "But neither are they," she continued as she watched her fellow gargoyles beat back the offending Vikings, a small smile gracing her beak.

The king of gargoyles smirked and crossed his arms over his chest as he watched his daughter. 'The girl may not have a fighting bone in her body, but she does enjoy watching a good battle,' he thought as his daughter leaned further over the edge to inspect the battle better.

It was true. The princess of gargoyles was no warrior, like her father once was. And for the time being, that was fine. A royal gargoyle didn't really need to know how to fight. Especially not the females. More often than not, royals were surrounded by warrior gargoyles, much like the two were now. But The King believed that if his kind were willing to die for him, he should be ready to do the same. So, he trained alongside others, to protect his kind, his people, and his child.

On top of another, shorter, tower, 3 young gargoyles were poised at the edge, watching the fight go on below. One of them was watching much more enthusiastically than his brothers. A young male with red skin, long white hair, large beak, and horns sprouting from his forehead, leaned over the edge, head swiveling back and forth. The other two, a smaller, olive toned male with no hair and wings that attached to his arms, and a larger gargoyle, light teal in color, rather round in the belly, small spikes instead of hair running down the middle of his head, and huge wings, stood to either side of their red brother observing the fight, though they held far less excitement.

"Shall we let our brothers and sisters have all the fun?" the red one asked as he glanced between the other two before hopping up to perch himself on the edge, ready to take flight. But he was stopped by the smallest of them.

"Oh, you just want to fight so you can show off to The Princess," the young olive colored gargoyle said, playfully elbowing his brother, and nodding his head to the tallest tower, where The Princess could be seen leaning over the edge, a grin plastered onto her beak.  The red brother glanced up to the where The Princess stood, golden rings that served as her crown glistening in the fire and moon light, clawed hands gripping the stone beneath them. 

The red brother gulped, and as if it were audible, The Princess's eyes made their way over to the tower the trio were nestled in. Her smile was gentle, it seemed to put them all at ease, and she gave a small wave. The olive and teal brothers bowed their head to the female, while the red one shyly started waving back, before quickly bowing his head with his brother, hoping and praying The Princess didn't catch his blunder. Though his brothers did, as he heard chuckling from behind him. 

He whipped around and glared at the laughing pair. "You don't know what you're talking about," he growled out before grunting and turning back to launch himself over the edge to join the older gargoyles in the fight against the Vikings.

The olive brother clenched his claws, ready to follow after his red brother, when he noticed his bigger brother wasn't following after him. 

"Not afraid, are you?" the olive brother asked with a teasing tone in his voice. And, as if offended by the mere world, the teal brother stood to his full height.

"Afraid? Me?" he asked jabbing his thumb toward his chest. "HA! Why, all of nature trembles at my passing!" he went on, sucking in his gut and puffing out his chest, only for the roundness to return instantly to his belly, making the smaller of the two laugh.

"I can see why," the olive brother said as he poked his claw into his brother's stomach a few times. Then he turned and leaped over the edge, his brother not far behind, to join in the fight.