•2•

Cira Castello

"Oh Cira, darling

"Oh Cira, darling."

I see Mrs. Wang walk over too us flaying her arms stupid. She's my Nutrition teacher (aka she teaches Fenwick High how to cook.)

My best friend Lyla giggles and I quickly elbow her in the ribs.

"Oww."

"Shut up..."

Okay, Mrs.Wang might be a little, quirky, with her long flower skirt, and purple bejeweled glasses- but that's what I love about her. She's unapologetically herself.

By the time she reaches us she's puffing slightly, but I can tell by the gleam in her eyes that she's excited.

"Cira- today's gonna be such an exciting class." She says animatedly.

I smile, waiting for more information but I don't receive any response.

"Oh I wish I could tell you-but u have my first period, you'll find out soon enough."

She waves goodbye, and walks away, nearly tripping a nervous freshman on the way.

I stifle a laugh and turn to Lyla whose mouthing, "She's weird."

"Come on Ly, she's not weird necessarily, she's just eccentric."

"Oh okay," Lyla says sarcastically. "I know you love her with everything in you, but come on she's weird. She's what my mother would call an isanghan salam. A weirdo" She whips out her Korean for a dramatic effect.

"Fine, and she's what my mother would say is frainteso. Misunderstood." I also whip out my mother's native tongue, Italian.

Lyla rolls her eyes but laughs. She grabs me by the arm and pulls me along. "you're gonna make us late."

We reach Mrs.Wangs classroom quickly, the rest of the class already inside. The best thing about having Mrs.Wang for homeroom- and first period, is the fact that you get to make breakfast in the morning, which is exactly what I do.

I quickly whip up an omelet for Lyla, Anna (another one of my best friends who is French btw.)and myself. I add some shredded gruyere cheese, diced ham, and chopped bacon into my egg, and then I add some fresh herbs and sprinkle salt and pepper into my concoction.

While I cook Anna pours herself some milk from the refrigerator, and gossips away about some ridiculous rumor she heard. Our school has state of the art kitchens (6 in total). They were installed last year with amazing equipment, and the class was moved to another room. Let's just say Mrs.Wang was overjoyed. The school's kitchens may even be better than my parent's and they're professional chefs.

Still, our school abandoned the cafeteria's kitchen, which mean's I still stay as far away as that place as possible. I don't think I have eaten in the lunchroom since freshman year. Their oily fries, pasta (the sauce is pink... PINK!), and weird chili that god know what they put in- leave me traumatized. Well, I'm better off making paninis in Mrs.Wang room, with Anna and Lyla who love cooking almost as much as I do.