Chapter 1: Meeting You

John frowned as he stared at his painting. Something was missing, he knew that for sure, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. He glanced down at his palette, pursing his lips at the colors that decorated it. A mix of blues, reds, and browns stared back at him.

He looked back at the painting, before deciding to add a bit more detail to the trees. Maybe that would help-

"I'm back!"

John cringed at the shrill voice and flinched at the loud bang that followed. He sighed, setting his palette and paintbrush down before taking off his apron and hanging it up. He left the tiny studio, it had actually been a closet but John had no need for so much space for clothing and entered the open kitchen and living room area.

"Alex, do you have to be so loud?" He asked the second he saw his roommate. He snorted quietly when he saw Alexander's appearance. He was dressed in baggy sweatpants and a white tank top. His hair was thrown up in a messy bun and he looked thoroughly exhausted. "Whatcha got there?" John asked when he noticed the grocery bag on the kitchen counter.

"Hmm? Oh, it's just some bananas." Alexander said, reaching into the bag and pulling out a group of bananas.

"You went all the way to the corner store for bananas?" John said.

Alexander shrugged before grabbing a banana. He peeled it and made a show of putting it in his mouth.

"Oh my god, you are so ridiculous," John said. "The only reason you even like bananas is because you like making it overly sexual."

"Hey! They taste good too!" Alexander protested.

John snorted. "They literally taste like nothing."

"They do not! They taste like bananas!"

"Whatever Alex," John said.

Alexander stuck his tongue out before eating the rest of the banana and grabbing another one. He took a bite and glanced at the stove.

"Say John," he said.

"Yeah?"

"Don't you need to go to work?"

John frowned. "No, I still have an hour until my shift."

"Dude, it's eight twenty," Alexander said flatly.

"What? No, it isn't, it's seven..." John's voice trailed off when he saw the numbers on the stove. The bright digits did indeed say eight twenty. John stared at it blankly as it changed to eight twenty-one. His eyes widened.

"Shit!" He said before scrambling to his room.

"Peggy's totally going to kill you," Alexander yelled after him.

John scowled and grabbed his work shirt. He struggled to put on some nice jeans and whirled around as he searched for his keys and phone.

When he reappeared a moment later, Alexander had a shit-eating grin plastered across his face.

"Hello disaster artist." He said.

"Shut up." John snapped, grabbing the new banana out of Alexander's hand.

"Hey!"

"You don't need it." John snatched his jacket off the couch and made his way to the door.

"You've got paint on your face by the way," Alexander said just as John was about to leave.

"Goddammit Alex, why didn't you tell me sooner?" John said.

"You stole my banana."

"You are impossible," John grumbled before quickly checking his reflection in the mirror. The paint smear was pretty faint and since it was brown, it blended in with the many freckles that decorated his skin.