Chapter 6: First Time

John wiped down the counters, keeping an eye on the door. It was Peggy's day off today and Hercules' shift had ended an hour or so ago, so it was just him, Lee, and Lafayette. The cafe was strangely busy for a Tuesday afternoon. Many of the tables were filled with people, chatting away.

"I'm just saying, you're completely wrong!"

John looked up from the sink when he heard a familiar voice. At the door, Alexander stood with Aaron, who looked done with life.

"John!" Alexander said cheerfully, marching over with Aaron trailing behind him. "Would you mind telling this man that he's wrong?"

He gestured to Aaron who only glared back.

"Wrong about what?" John asked warily. He knew how Alexander got when he was trying to prove a point. It didn't matter how logical the other person's argument was, if Alexander didn't agree with it, it was wrong.

"That scrambled eggs are better than omelets!"

John blinked. "Alexander, you don't even like eggs."

"That's beside the point."

John smiled and shook his head. "Sorry Alex, but I'm gonna have to agree with Aaron on this one. Omelets are pretty damn good."

Alexander gasped. "I can't believe you!" He cried dramatically. "Betrayed by my own best friend."

Behind him Aaron rolled his eyes and shot John a bemused look which John returned, trying his best not to swoon when he saw the amusement in Aaron's deep, dark eyes.

"You going to order Hamilton?" Aaron cut in. "Or are you going to make me wait?"

Still grumbling and pouting, Alexander ordered.

"Lee, one black coffee and a chocolate muffin," John said before focusing on Aaron with a smile. "What would you like?"

"Just a hot chocolate please," Aaron said and when he smiled John noticed he got crinkles around his eyes. He filed the information away for later and accepted Aaron's money.

"Coming up." He said with a wink and went to make the hot chocolate.

"So, John," Alexander said, taking a seat at the bar. "You got a crush?"

John's eyes widened and he nearly dropped the cup he was holding. "I- what? No!" He tried his hardest to fight down his blush and focused intently on the hot chocolate. "Why would you think that?"

"Despite popular belief, I'm not blind," Alexander said, a sly grin on his face.

John couldn't stop his snort. Not blind, huh? Apparently, that only applied to people who weren't himself. John had spent nearly a full year crushing on his roommate, and yet he hadn't noticed a damn thing.

"Right." He said dryly.

"I'm not! Besides, what person wouldn't notice the way you stare at Aaron?"

"What about me?" Aaron asked, walking over.

Alexander grinned his Cheshire cat grin and John scrambled to say something before Alexander did.

"Here's your hot chocolate!" He practically shouted, shoving the drink into a surprised Aaron's hands. He glared at Alexander when he chortled.

"You're the worst." He mumbled. Aaron looked between the two, entirely confused. "Inside joke," John said with a wave of his hand. "Don't worry about it."

Aaron nodded slowly, though he still looked confused.

"So," Alexander asked. "How long have you two known each other?"