Chapter 3: Listening

John tapped the counter, a bored expression on his face. Peggy was off to the side, sweeping up a small mess a customer had made a few minutes ago.

It was a slow day today. There was still a morning rush, but it was hardly anything to be impressed about, especially compared to Fridays rush. He sighed and began to tap his finger at a faster pace.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Lee shoot him an irritated glare, which he promptly ignored.

John grinned at Peggy when she rolled her eyes at them, a warning clear in her eyes. Don't get into another fight her eyes practically screamed. He gave her a tiny salute before returning to his tapping, smirking when Lee released an irritated growl.

"Good morning boys."

John looked up with a grin. "Hey, Eliza. And you do remember I'm actually a year older?"

Eliza smiled and laughed. "Well, you certainly don't act like it."

"Shut up." He said, sticking his tongue out playfully. " I'm super mature, I don't know what you're talking about."

"She's not wrong," Peggy said.

"Not you too! You're both so mean to me." He pouted.

Peggy and Eliza both giggled, hiding smirks. John rolled his eyes, a teasing smile on his face.

"So, what're you doing here Eliza?" Peggy asked.

"I figured I'd check in on you two. Plus, I need to take inventory." She explained, slipping behind the counter with them.

"Makes sense," Peggy said with a shrug. "Oh, are you still driving me to the hair salon after my shift?"

Eliza blinked. "Oh, I forgot about that. Sure thing Peggy."

Peggy grinned. "Sweet. Thanks."

"What color are you dyeing your hair this time?" John asked, wiping some crumbs into his hand and dumping them into the trash.

"I was thinking an ombre pink," Peggy said.

"That'd look pretty nice," John said. Her hair was currently a cool teal, but it was pretty faded from time. It looked nice on her, but John could definitely picture her with pink hair. It would probably match all her yellow clothing as well.

"I know right? I was thinking the same thing. And I was also thinking of getting a nose piercing."

John quirked a brow. "Really?"

Peggy nodded, grinning. "I also kinda want a cartilage piercing like yours. It's pretty hot, to be honest."

John chuckled. "Considering you're a raging lesbian, I'll take that as a compliment."

Peggy smirked at him. "You should. Speaking of homosexuality, have you gotten laid yet?"

John's face flushed bright red and turned even darker when he heard Eliza giggle. "Peggy!"

"Don't forget our agreement, Mister. No forgiveness until you get off your sorry ass and get a man. You've been single too long."

"Peggy..."

"I'm serious! After your little crush on Alex was over, you never went for a new man. Hell, you've never even shown interest in another dude!"

John sighed. "Maybe I just haven't found the right one Pegs. I don't really want to just have a one-night stand anyways."

That much was true. John had had enough of those back in university. He wanted something real now. He wanted to cuddle and love someone. He wanted to pour his heart out to his boyfriend and have them pour their heart out to him.