Chapter 8: It Was

Warning: this is the smut chapter. If smut makes you uncomfortable, you're welcome to skip! Any important events will be mentioned in the next chapter. :)

---

John approached the market with a bounce in his step. He finally had a date with Aaron! Not just an hour to chat during his break but an actual date! And a date meant that he could hold Aaron's hand, maybe even kiss him... John's stomach fluttered just thinking about it.

It was a Friday evening, so the market was bustling with people. John walked through the crowd, searching for familiar brown eyes.

"John!"

John turned and couldn't stop his smile as Aaron walked over to him. He looked adorable; he was bundled up in a form-fitting coat, a thick grey scarf, and a beanie on his head. His hands were covered by black gloves and his shoes were black boots.

"Hey, I didn't keep you waiting too long?" John greeted. Aaron shook his head.

"No, it's fine." Aaron paused, seeming to consider something. He grabbed John's hand and squeezed it. His cheeks darkened. "Let's grab some coffee."

John nodded wordlessly. They made their way through the crowd and John barely registered where they were going; all his focus was on the warmth of Aaron's hand. It had been ages since his last boyfriend he'd forgotten how nice it felt to hold someone's hand.

They arrived at a small stand selling fresh coffee and cakes and pastries.

"This place has some of the best coffee I've ever had," Aaron confessed. He was smiling and it was a shy and bashful little thing but John couldn't stop staring. He was in total awe of how beautiful Aaron was.

"Better than Downtown Cafe." John teased.

"I said some of the best coffee," Aaron said. "I promise, your coffee is very tasty."

John grinned. "It's not me you should be worried about; Angelica's the one who will kill you."

Aaron laughed and the warmth in John's hand spread to his heart.

Their order was called and John reluctantly released Aaron so they could drink and eat. Aaron led him to a garden ledge and they sat together in comfortable silence. As John finished up his tart, he scooted a bit closer to Aaron and leaned against him. Aaron hummed and smiled before snuggling closer. They sat for a little while longer, enjoying each other's heat and watching the people pass.

"Do you want to walk around?" John asked.

"Sure! I still need to buy some Christmas gifts."

They stood up and John made sure to grab Aaron's hand before he could escape his reach. They wandered around for quite a while. Aaron would sometimes drag John over to a stand and occasionally asked his opinion on a gift.

It was one of the best dates John had ever been on.

"Are you working tomorrow?" Aaron asked. They were standing at the market entrance. It was getting late and Aaron needed all the sleep he could get, being a college student and all.

"I'm working on Sunday." John murmured.

"I guess I have to come on Sunday," Aaron said.

John smiled. "I'd like that."

Aaron leaned up and they kissed, nice and slow. John melted against Aaron's warm body, tugging him a bit closer. He didn't want it to end.

"I gotta get back." Aaron murmured. With one last kiss, Aaron said goodbye and walked back to his dorms. John watched him go before turning to leave as well.

He was in the clouds the entire walk back to his apartment. His mind replayed their date over and over again. Aaron's lips were so different than what John had imagined. Instead of impossibly soft and plump lips, Aaron's were chapped from the cold and he tasted like coffee. John's hands twitched with the urge to capture Aaron's beauty in paint.

The next painting was the most accurate. After spending more time with Aaron John felt confident that he had a firm grasp on Aaron's features. The laugh lines around his eyes, the tiny scar on his chin, the spots of acne still leftover from puberty on his forehead. Aaron was beautiful and John could finally do him justice.

The scene in the painting was Aaron reading in bed. The only light source was a bedside lamp. The curtains were drawn shut and Aaron was snuggled under the covers. John had left just enough space to squeeze in on the bed. He yearned to feel Aaron's body pressed against his again.

John spent a few more minutes touching up Aaron's face and the bed before finally washing and putting away his brushes. He sat down on his stool and let the painting take him in.

His eyes snapped open and he looked around. He was in the bed on his side. He blinked at the wall before sitting up.

"Oh, did I wake you?" Aaron asked, setting his book aside. John shook his head.

"No, I'm fine." John scooted a little closer. He preened a little when Aaron ran a hand through his hair. Examining him, John thought he finally managed to make Aaron perfect. There wasn't a single thing out of place.

John jolted when he felt Aaron's hand touch his crotch. He pulled away from the kiss, his face burning.

"Aaron, what are you-" he stuttered and Aaron was quick to pull his hand away.

"Do you not want to- Sorry, I just thought..." Aaron trailed off and looked away. John swallowed and without thinking, pulled Aaron closer. His hand snaked down just above Aaron's ass and he pushed their hips together. Aaron groaned and his hands scrambled to John's shoulders.

"I, I do want this," John breathed. "You just took me by surprise."

"Wait! Wait, I- I want." Aaron swallowed and John stopped breathing when he began to lower himself. "Can I? I want to get my mouth on you."

John's heart stuttered in his chest and he stared at the ceiling with wide eyes. "Yeah, go ahead." He said his voice light and quiet with overwhelming arousal. He couldn't quite believe this was happening.

Aaron's hand was wrapped around his cock and John shuddered when he felt Aaron's breath ghost over his heated skin. A tiny kitten lick had him breathing a little heavier, but then Aaron wrapped his lips around the head and tongued at the slit.

John groaned and his fingers curled against the blankets. Aaron hollowed his cheeks and sucked and his mouth was just so fucking perfect John was in fucking Heaven oh my god-

John choked on his spit when Aaron took him in more until John's dick hit the back of his throat. John was left groaning and gasping for breath as Aaron bobbed his head up and down. Then he did, he did this thing with his tongue and John found himself moaning loudly and bucking into Aaron's mouth.

"Wait, wait." John panted and Aaron pulled away. John felt his cock twitch when Aaron wiped away saliva and pre-come from his mouth. "I want," John paused and he struggled to find the words. He dragged Aaron up by his shoulders and slotted their lips together. Aaron sighed against him and positively melted.

"John," he whispered when they pulled away. "I love you."

John froze, his breath caught in his lungs. Aaron was smiling at him perfectly docile and still. It was then that John realized just how wrong this was. This Aaron, while he was a perfect physical copy of the real Aaron, his lack of personality was glaring.

John's eyes welled with tears and he pulled Aaron close. He clung to Aaron as he shook and sobbed, the guilt and longing overwhelming.

John gasped and his eyes flew open. His arms flailed as he fell from his chair to the floor. His chest felt heavy.

"John? You okay?"

John stayed on the floor as Alexander poked his head in.

"I'm fine." John barely managed to keep the tremor out of his voice.

"I bought some stuff at the store, we have fresh vegetables and fruit now. So, if you wanna eat go right ahead." Alexander yawned and John trembled. "I'm getting some sleep. See you later."

The door shut softly and John broke.