Chapter 7: And Knowing

John pursed his lips as he carefully added more detail to Aaron's face. The painting was simple, just Aaron leaning against a brick wall with a cigarette between his plump lips. It was hard to paint though because John had chosen for the picture to be set at night, so he had to be careful about the lightning. The cigarette gave off a bit of light, so he highlighted some of Aaron's features and his clothing. It was turning out quite well, and John was pleased with this portrait far more than his previous one. Aaron definitely looked more like his real self.

John smiled slightly. He'd been working on this painting for just over a week. It was turning out pretty well and he only had a few more details to add. He carefully added some wisps of smoke that curled around Aaron's body and moved up towards the starry night. A bit more shading for Aaron's body and the painting would be completed. He finished up the shading around Aaron's scarf and barely had time to set his paintbrush down before the now swirling colors reached out and dragged him into a new reality.

John let out a harsh pant, sucking in a large breath. Sometimes, traveling through to the inky world stole John's breath away. As his eyes adjusted to the new lightning, he realized he was on an extremely comfortable couch. Nowhere close to the rock like couch back in his shared apartment with Alexander. He almost didn't want to get up. He did eventually rise though. He was curious as to where Aaron was.

He looked around curiously, spotting a picture on one of the numerous bookcases. He walked over to it, eyes widening when he saw him and Aaron in suits. White suits. His heart stuttered in his chest. Were he and Aaron married in this reality?

Immediately, John glanced down at his left hand. Sure enough, a lovely wedding band rested on his ring finger.

"Holy shit..." he breathed out, right hand going to his left, gently touching the ring. He twisted it a few times, relishing in the weight and feel of it. He blinked a few times and shook his head. He tore his gaze away from his new ring and spotted a sliding glass door. He smiled when he spied a shadowy figure of someone.

He went over to the door and slipped out onto the balcony. His eyes immediately settled on Aaron's relaxed body. John watched silently as Aaron breathed in the deadly smoke before puffing it out again. God damn, that should not be as sexy as it was.

"Hey," he said softly as to not startle his apparent husband. It didn't work and Aaron still flinched, hurriedly putting the cigarette out and looking like a child who was caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

"John, hey." He said, smile much too stiff for John's liking. "I'm uh, I'm sorry. I-I know you don't like me smoking..."

"Hey, it's alright babe," John said, the petname slipping out without much thought. "I know you do it when you're stressed." He smiled and gently stroked small circles behind Aaron's ear. Aaron's smiled lovingly at him and leaned into the touch.

"How 'bout we go cuddle on the couch?" John suggested. "That thing is ridiculously comfortable."

Aaron grinned and pecked his cheek. "Sounds wonderful." He murmured, ignorant of John's flaming face.

Aaron grabbed his hand and led him to the couch. John couldn't stop his eyes from traveling down. It wasn't his fault that Aaron had chosen to walk in front of him! Plus, he was wearing stupidly tight skinny jeans, it was hard not to look.

Face flushed and ashamed from his own thoughts, John barely even noticed Aaron pulling him down onto the couch until he felt his husband's warm body pressed against his own.

"You're so beautiful John." Aaron breathed out, hand going up and playing with John's hair. There was an adoring smile on his face that John couldn't help but match.