5. Eve

They sat in silence as Harry weaved his car in and out of London's early evening traffic. Glancing over, the girl who's name he still didn't know, was sitting as far from him as she could. Her small frame pressed tight to the passenger door. Her fingers curled round the handle. She looked as if she was desperate to escape. Her brown hair was tied back from her hair and the ends were blowing slightly from the force of the Air Con.

"Are you warm enough?" He asked fixing his eyes back on the road.

"Yes, thanks" she answered never moving her gaze from where it was staring out of the passenger window.

"Won't be long now" Harry said just for something try and ease the tension while turning down the force of the Air Con. She ignored him.

In most circumstances Harry would have thought her behaviour rude. But there was something about her hunched shoulders and timid demeanour that told Harry she wasn't trying to be rude, she was just trying to survive.
Slowly he pulled the car into a private underground car park. In hind site this probably wasn't the best hotel to bring her to. He had a few dotted over the city and this was by far the most luxurious. But it was where he lived and it was the closest to where they were. So as much as he thought she wouldn't appreciate it, it was the most convenient to bring her to.

As he shut off the engine he turned to face her but she was already pushing her way out of the car. Grabbing her bag from the footwell, she stood obediently waiting for Harry to show her the way.

She followed as Harry made his way towards the double door. Typing in his code the doors glided open to let them through. He thought of offering to carry her bag, then thought better of it.

"Mr Styles" one of his evening security guards nodded as the passed by his post at the door to the car park.

"Evening Neil" Harry nodded back as he led her through to the reception. One of the things Harry prided himself in was knowing his staff. Despite employing thousands of people through his many hotels and offices he took the time to get to know them. Or the long term ones at least.

"Hi Christine" He smiled approaching the quiet reception desk.

"Mr Styles" His receptionist smiled widely as he reached the desk. "What can I do for you on this fine evening?"

"I need a room for my friend here. Something on the 14th floor if you have it" he ran his fingers across the dark mahogany reception desk. He glanced behind to see her gazing around the reception in amazement. It never failed to thrill him when people appreciated his hard work. Working his empire up from the bottom had taken Harry a lot of years and even more hard work and determination but he'd built a great business and an even better life for himself.

He watched as her eyes darted from the reception desk to the snug beside the front door to the entrance to the bar. He wondered if she'd ever been in somewhere so luxurious before. Although the reception was quiet he knew the hotel was busy. Not only from the quiet buzz he could hear coming from the bar but also form the fact the hotel was always busy. People liked a little bit of class in London and his hotel had made a name for itself as one of the classiest hotels in the city. And also one of the most affordable which meant it was very rarely quiet.

"There you go" Christine smiled as she sat the room key in its leather wallet and onto the reception desk.

"Thanks, love" He smiled grabbing the key and finding his new friend who had made her way over to the entrance to the restaurant and was perusing the menu.

"Would you like to go in for dinner?"

She jumped at his sudden closeness. "Oh no, thank you" He could see the blush creep over her cheeks. What he'd do to know her story right now. But he knew not to push it.

"Are you sure?"

Eve gave a small laugh, the menu doesn't even have prices on it, which means I probably can't even afford a plate of chips. I'll be fine thanks"

Harry sighed, deciding to take a different approach. "I've put you up in my hotel and I don't even know you're name" He ran his hands through his hair just to give him something to do.

"I know, and I'm very appreciative" She stated squaring her shoulders to try and appear larger than she was.

"I know, sorry that's not what I meant" Harry stumbled over his words. Usually he was so confident and articulate with his words but this woman made him tongue tied.

"What's your name?" Harry tried again

She hesitated. "Eve"

He felt a smile creep over his lips at finally knowing her name.

"Eve, what I meant is, while you're staying here treat this as your home. Don't worry about food. It was part of the deal"

"Oh, I'll only be here for one night. I'll sort out alternative accommodation tomorrow"

Despite how her reluctance to accept help irritated him Harry decided not to push the issue. "The offer is there, you can stay as long as you need to. Come on, I'll show you to your room"

After an awkwardly quiet ride in the lift they made it out onto the 14th floor.

"Here you are" Harry presented the room door to her as they reached the bottom of the corridor.

"Thanks" Eve gratefully took the key card wallet from him. Fumbling with her duffle bag and attempting to pull the key card out the wallet proved too much for Eve and she dropped the wallet. Harry quickly bending down to retrieve pulled the card out and deftly opened the door. Walking in, he held the door as Eve followed him in.

"Please make yourself comfortable" Harry gestured around the room. "If you need anything..." he thought about telling her to contact him, but he guessed that would make her even less likely to ask for help. "... just phone down to reception"

Harry watched as Eve placed her ratty old bag on the edge of the king size bed and wondered towards the floor to ceiling windows. Being on the 14th floor the room had beautiful views across London. The sparkling lights from the buildings to the road to the street lights below ga ve the room an other worldly feel. Like being so high above everyone else gave you detachment from what was going on below.

"This is incredible" Eve whispered

Harry felt a heat creep over his cheeks at her compliment. "If you need anything, just pick up the phone" He nodded towards the phone on the bedside table and started to back out of the room.

"Thank you for this Harry" Eve turned from the window to thank Harry sincerely. "You don't know how much I appreciate this"

Harry was sure he could here a thickness in her voice but he chose not to pick up on it. He gave her a small smile "Just glad I could help"

The door closed with a soft click. Harry ran his hands through his hair as he headed back into the lift to take him up one more floor to his suite on the top floor. This girl was going to be interesting