*Goodnight

There was no sound around Marie, a void of nothingness with no beginning or end. Quite similar to a black hole, she thought. And, in it, danced the butterflies.

They slipped in from a navy blue door that gave onto a maze of little screens and on them, she recognized her memories. There was her first time at the zoo, the day she dropped ice cream all over her birthday dress, her father teaching her how to ride a bicycle... It had been too overwhelming so she returned. Seeing her past now would be pointless; Raina's plan had already begun after all. Why was the door still open then?

"What are you doing here?" asked a little voice, taking her by surprise. It belonged to a little girl, standing on the opposite side of the gap. A little white dress stained with chocolate crumbs. She was glowing, not from the sparkling beads of her attire but from something else. It was nothing like Marie had seen before; as crazy as it sounds, the light looked like it was emanating from within her. And that seemed to be driving the butterflies away. "Why are you here? Will you eat us too?"

"Eat you?"

"Then, will you help him? He is fading faster than us."

"Who is he?"

"Suho oppa."

The name rung a bell in Mary's head but she could not pinpoint why or how. It was like singing the lyrics to a song whose title you can't remember. Just like that, she knew that, whoever he was, was important to her.

"Where is he right now?"

"In the youth department. But we can't reach him. You can."

"I can?"

"Yes. You're the only one who can." she said and the door creaked a little right after that, as if to highlight the severity of the situation. Various thoughts invaded Marie's mind but it was her heart, suddenly pounding at her ribs, that had her getting up. Immediately the butterflies rushed to her, creating a barrier, and she screeched, shocked.

"Take my hand." said the girl immediately, opening the door wider. "Hurry!"

Marie did not give herself a moment to think and blindly pushed her hand forward, letting the girl find her. A long second of uncertainty and fear that lost itself the moment warmth spread through her. And in that moment, she realised who the little girl was. It felt like a miracle; the butterflies instantly scattered like leaves blown by the gusts of a storm. Instead, they went to the walls, wings buzzing in threat.

"Let's go."

And so they went, entering the maze of her memories. One road led to another and another, a never ending cycle where footsteps easily blend with one another.

Marie hung her head low as she walked, counting the steps in her head. One, two three... The numbers went on in her head. All of this was a part of her, even the girl with her face. She could understand that as she walked, feeling the energy of her emotions pouring from the screens. The anger, regret, joy, loneliness... The events that had made her her. But all she felt now was sadness and doubt... How to explain it? The more she saw them, the more she asked herself whether she had taken the right decision. After all, there is nothing more frightening than facing the deepest part of yourself, watching the crude reality of your choices and actions after running away from it all.

So they walked, hand in hand, with the butterflies watching. And with them, other people watched too. Marie could sense their presence in the dark, eyes peeping at her through the shadows. And their silent voices drowned her in regrets, though she could not really tell what she was supposed to repent for.

"They're scared." explained the little girl, hurrying her steps. "We all are."

"Why?"

"It might be the end."