.4

Chapter Four: Forced To Grow Up

The church was beautiful.

That was the first thought Wednesday had as she stepped up the large flight of stairs that lead into the cathedral. She had just landed in a private airport not too far away; one of the perks of being an Avenger.

She straightened out her black skirt and blazer, taking a deep breath as the crowd of mourning people exited the building. She searched for the blond hair, but couldn't find it. With a heavy weight in her heart, she pushed open the doors and walked down the aisle to the super soldier standing at the end.

Steve spun around at the sound of her heeled boots thumping against the velvet carpet. When he saw her, tears pooled in his eyes.

Steve had never had siblings, besides Bucky Barnes being like his brother, but he felt as if Wednesday Wilson was the closest thing he had to a little sister. After meeting her and Sam a while back, he created a bond with her that he never thought he would have.

Wednesday approached him silently, watching the emotion run through his eyes. She slowly placed a hand on his arm, causing a single tear to fall down his cheek.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive...I was just lucky to have her," Steve's voice broke at the end, causing the young girl's heart to sink.

"She had you back, too." She confirmed, slipping her hand down his arm to grasp his hand tightly in support.

"Who else signed?" Steve asked, wiping the single tear away with his free hand. Wednesday's mind flashed with images of the team, either signing or storming away in anger.

"Tony, Rhodes, Vision." She sighed.

"Clint?" He asked.

"Says he's retired," the young girl's lip upturned slightly at the thought of the expert marksman playing golf and knitting in his spare time.

"And Wanda?" He asked, his eyes finally meeting his friend's.

"TBD.." Wednesday sighed. She let his hand go, taking a small step back.

"I'm heading to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet," she offered gently, causing Steve to bow his head in defeat.

"Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together," Wednesday gave her last effort in convincing her friend, but she knew it was futile. He wasn't going to change his mind.

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve mumbled.

Deep down, Wednesday knew both arguments were correct, but she just couldn't handle not being with her family. If she signed, then at least she would stay connected with some of the people she cherished the most.

"I'm sorry, Wennie. I can't sign it." Steve shook his head, and Wednesday nodded in understanding.

"I know," she mumbled, staring down at her boots in utter defeat.

"Then why are you here?" He asked, slightly confused as to why the young girl would be here if she knew she couldn't convince him.

"Because," Wednesday looked back up, making eye contact with Steve's broken expression.

"I didn't want you to be alone. We're family, Rogers, and family doesn't quit on each other," she said firmly. Steve's heart melted at the young girl's words, and he wrapped her up in a strong hug.

She hugged back, closing her eyes as her arms wrapped around his torso in support. She felt a tear fall down her shoulder, but didn't mention it to Steve. She was going to let him grieve the love of his life.

————————————————-

Wednesday smiled falsely beside Natasha, greeting members of the UN with condolences and professional handshakes. She almost laughed at the thought of this being her childhood; forced to grow up and sign government documents at UN meetings.

"Miss Romanoff, Miss Wilson? These need your signatures," a staff member came up to the women, handing them both pens.

"Thank you," the woman nodded after both ladies had signed and handed back their pens, grabbing the attention of a man standing close to them.

"I suppose none of us is used to the spotlight," he smiled professionally causing the two women to turn to him. Wednesday recognized him at Prince T'Challa of Wakanda.

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering," Natasha gave a polite smirk, causing Wednesday to smile to herself at Natasha's past.. incidents.

"Well, considering both your backgrounds, I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company," T'Challa gave a small smile to Wednesday who felt slightly out of place.

"We're not," the young Wilson answered for both of them.

"That alone makes me glad you're here, Miss Wilson," T'Challa gave both of them a nod. Another man approached them silently, his face void of much emotion.

"My son," he patted T'Challa's back lightly, cluing Wednesday in that this was the King of Wakanda.

"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria," Wednesday bowed her head in apology as she spoke, surprising Natasha with how mature she had become. She felt her heart ache at the thought of her young friend having to grow up so quickly.

"My my, you are quite the remarkable young woman, Miss Wilson. Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today," the King addressed both women with a more somber attitude.

"So am I," Natasha responded, just as she heard a call to prepare for the meeting to start.

"I guess that's our queue. Your Majesty," Natasha nodded, placing her hand on Wednesday's back as she lead them both to their seats.

"When did you grow up so fast?" Natasha whispered quietly to the dark skinned girl beside her.

"When my family decided to split in two before my very eyes," she responded gruffly, causing Natasha to look down in shame.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

"No, I understand. You're right," Natasha nodded, gripping Wednesday's hand in apology as the assembly began.

Aaaaaaand another one. I just can't wait to get to Peter's bit. Lol whoops