three

Sorry this chapter was a little late; my laptop's keyboard keeps killing itself and I have to work on it at school, but my teachers yell at me. Forget my sob story. As usual, enjoy!

This morning was similar to the previous ones, with me rolling over to check the clock at a delicious smell obviously produced by Monika's amazing cooking skills. It had been a few days since the incident, and everything seemed to have blown over: Monika even gave Hana that three-page apology letter and food she'd been talking about.

Monika said to me that she'd been joking when I'd spun around a few days ago to demand what she'd just said after she said something that sent chills down my spine: "But one more deletion would be a marvelous way to retire." I said I believed her, but it was still a little suspicious, especially at how quickly she spoken. But I'd brushed these disloyal thoughts aside, guilty for not believing Monika. She might've not had the best track record, but she had to have been honest when she said she wouldn't try anything awful like that again, especially since she'd been on her best behavior the past few days. Right?

Shaking the doubts out of my head, I slid out of my bed and downstairs, shuffling sleepily towards the unbelievably wonderful aroma. When I got to the kitchen, a now-familiar scene greeted me: Monika humming some of the compositions played in DDLC! while cheerfully preparing a meal. My stomach rumbled as my nose detected the scent and I thought back to last night's supper: [second favorite food, vegetarian-ified it it includes meat]. My mouth watered at the very thought, especially since I was so hungry.

"Hey, Monika," I yawned, sitting at the table.

"Hello, dearest!" she sang out, turning to set my plate on the table along with a perfectly-folded napkin with utensils tucked snugly inside. "Breakfast is almost ready!"

I'd given up complaining about her cooking for me and me feeling bad about how grateful my taste buds had become: it was clear Monika didn't care I felt bad and wanted to do something sweet that - in her words - "a good girlfriend would do". While I didn't necessarily believe that you had to cook for your significant other to be a good girlfriend, my taste buds shut me up with every tantalizing bite.

Monika slid two waffles topped with a mountain of whipped cream and chopped up bits of [favorite fruit] as garnish. On the side were two fried eggs, salted and peppered to maximum deliciousness. I inhaled deeply.

Monika turned off the stove and slid next to me, giggling at the way I wolfed food down. "You're so eager to try my cooking; it makes me happy you like your breakfast."

"Like?" I asked incredulously between bites. "I love this." I stuffed my face with waffle-y goodness, closing my eyes and savoring the light sweetness of the whipped cream combined with the heavy flavor of the waffles - the best taste was that of [favorite fruit], which blended in harmony with the waffles and whipped cream, resulting in taste bud heaven.

Monika giggled as I shoveled food into my mouth, taking her own delicate bites with as much poise and grace as usual. "I'm glad you like it, darling - expect meals like this for the rest of your life."

I paused in between bites to turn to her. "The rest of my life?" Was Monika implying that she wanted. . .

"Marriage?" Monika asked, her jade eyes twinkling. "I know it's a little forward, but I figured there's no one else in your romantic life as prominent as me."

I shrugged, swallowing. I supposed she was right, as no one had really wanted to marry or even romantically acknowledge me before she did.

Monika's eyes narrowed, sparkling ceasing. "There isn't anyone as prominent as me, right, Y/N?"