six

I'm so, so, so, so, so, so sorry. I was very unmotivated, but finally forced myself to write this today. I hope it's decent to read. 

Also, there's an important A/N at the end. Please, please read it.

"So, what exactly is this project, again?" I asked Sayori as we walked together, away from the site of the latest quarrel between my friends and me.

"Something about finding something with a deep meaning, then explaining it and giving examples," Sayori responded, actively avoiding cracks in the cement by hopping over them. Her eyes were on the ground as she bounced about, her lips twisted in concentration.

"That sounds like it could be difficult," I said, following Sayori's example and stepping over cracks. I loved my mother, and didn't have any reason to break her back, superstitious or not.

"Not very much, since I have an idea for it," Sayori answered, almost tripping over herself before I caught her, yanking her arm back. She steadied, sending me a bright smile. "Sorry."

"It's fine," I replied. "What were you saying about an idea?"

"Well, in the spirit of Monika and Y/N -" Sayori began, "and not to mention Yuri and Natsuki -" she giggled, "love!"

I wrinkled my nose. "Love?"

"Yes, why?" Sayori asked quizzically. "If we find Monika, it would be super-duper-uper-schmuper-cute to have you be an example. Oh, maybe we could find a way to get Yuri and Natsuki out of the game, too, and then it would be even adorabler!"

"Sayori, I can barely manage you," I teased. "What makes you think I can handle two more girls?"

"Not to mention when we find Monika," Sayori said, going along with the joke. "She's definitely the most difficult out of all four of us."

"Debatable," I sighed playfully. "It's a close tie between the two of you."

"Meanie!" Sayori giggled, swatting my shoulder.

We walked in relative quiet for a few moments, with the exception of Sayori humming a cheerful tune as she skipped along.

I gazed ahead, dually thinking about the project and finding Monika. As we walked back into the building, schoolwork faded from my thoughts, replaced by solely Monika.

I mulled over the dream I had about her, thinking about the flashback. Maybe I'd been searching in the wrong places. Could this reveal the missing bit in the puzzle I'd been piecing together while searching for Monika?

I thought over that morning, considering everything she'd said.

Emerald being her favorite color, joking about her pickle eyes, and her favorite place in the world being in the library, reading or writing poems in a quiet little place in the back with comfy chairs.

I shook my head, smiling at the thought of joking with Monika. It was hard to believe that that had only happened a few days ago. It was nice to think about the happiness she'd brought me before I had hurt her and she disappeared.

♡♡♡

True to Sayori's previous word, a day or two later the teacher pulled me aside and handed me a sheet explaining our project, apologizing for not getting it to me sooner. I shrugged it off, accepting her apology distantly, my mind elsewhere.

Between preparing for this project and the search for Monika, my brain was completely overwhelmed, the only functionality about me at the moment being the involuntary action of maintaining homeostasis.

I stepped out of the classroom to find Sayori, searching through the mass of students ecstatic for the end of the school day.

"Y/N!" I heard her call, and turned to see Sayori rushing towards me through the hallway, half-stumbling, half-running. Everyone remotely in her way scooted out of it, Sayori appearing to create a perfect runway in the collection of our eager peers.