Chapter Two

Felicity

I didn't know what to do. I'd stupidly banked everything on Eli and I working out, but now I wasn't really wanted anywhere. He wasn't putting pressure on me to do much of anything. I knew he had someone working on divorce papers, but other than that he was being kind and trying to be comforting. It was so odd because he was dumping me. I should have been glad our divorce was at least civil, but I was too busy lost in confusion. He obviously still cared—I guessed it just wasn't enough.

Even though he wasn't asking me to move out or get a job or...anything, really, I tried to come up with solutions anyway. I knew that realistically, I'd likely end up with Eli helping me as much as he offered to, but I couldn't just sit by and let it happen without attempting to stand on my own two feet first.

So I looked for a job. My hopes weren't too high, because finding a job in Forks wasn't exactly a promising endeavor, but I asked around. I got a paper, because Forks was still old fashioned enough for that to be a hot spot to list for help wanted. A smidgen of luck was apparently shining down on me because after only a couple days of looking, I landed a job as a cashier at the Forks grocery store. It wasn't the most exciting thing in the world and I barely made more than minimum wage, but it was so much better than nothing that I didn't even hesitate in taking it.

Next I did the unthinkable—I called my parents. First my dad, who didn't answer. Of course. Then I called Nora, my stepmom, who did answer. I regretted dialing her number shortly after, though. I'd explained the situation. I assured her I had a job and I'd do my best not to be a burden. But she told me, "We were all so glad you moved out, and now you want to come back? Your whoring ways are not welcome back, Felicity. You should have listened to us when we said that boy was no good and you were throwing your life away." Honestly, I should have been glad because that could have been so much worse. But I was already feeling like garbage, so listening to Nora tear apart my life choices sucked.

For some reason, I decided to try calling my dad again the next day. It was stupid. I should have left things alone after Nora hung up on me. But I called him anyway and this time he actually answered—and he didn't even give me a chance to speak. "Felicity, I am sorry but I am of no help to you." He didn't sound sorry in the slightest. "I warned you. I warned you that marrying that boy wouldn't go well. You chose not to listen to me, and now I cannot help you. You shouldn't even be surprised because I told you once you were no longer a Creswell you would be on your own." He paused and I tried to believe it was because he was getting so upset at leaving his only daughter to fend for herself, but I knew better. He was probably just out of things to say. And I couldn't think of anything to fill the silence with. So the line was quiet for a few moments. Then, "I hope you end up alright, Felicity Logan." And then he hung up on me.

After the call with Nora the day before, I was hurt but I didn't cry. I stared at the wall for half an hour, but there wasn't even an inkling of tears in my eyes.

Now, after hearing the words that came from my own father's mouth, I sobbed. Curling up into a ball on the couch in the living room that I didn't share with anyone anymore, I cried and I cried. For how long, I was not certain. All I knew was that one moment I was alone, tears falling freely down my face, and the next, Elijah was there.

His face was right in front of mine and the concern in his eyes was a stab to the heart. "City?" He asked urgently. "City, what's wrong?"

I shook my head, leaning away from him. For the first time since I'd started crying, I tried to make the tears stop. I wiped at my face, sat up, and did my very best to put myself back together.