Chapter Fifteen

Felicity

Normally I was okay with working a lot of hours—I needed the money and for the most part it wasn't like I had anything better to do. But today of all days, I'd have preferred to not have to spend a few hours in the stupid grocery store.

I wanted to be at the bonfire already.

When Jacob had invited me yesterday, after his little meeting with Bella, there was a serious depth to his eyes and I had a feeling that the bonfire was going to be important. My mind was blank on what could be planned to happen, but I was endlessly curious.

And since I had work until eight, I couldn't show up until after that, even though everyone else would start showing up around seven. I hoped whatever was going to happen waited until I arrived.

Around seven when I wanted to be gone from work already, therefore my mind was elsewhere as I stocked pasta noodles onto their shelves, a petite girl practically bounced down the aisle. She was accompanied by a tall blonde guy, and it took me a second—because my mind wouldn't stop spinning—to recognize them as Cullens.

"Hello," the girl chirped. "I'm Alice. This is Jasper. We were wondering if you'd like to come meet our family? Our father is a doctor."

Her words were...strange. Why would I want to go meet her family? Why would it matter that her dad was a doctor? As if everyone in town didn't know that already. I'd never felt inclined to meet him before. Besides, I didn't want to go anywhere but La Push, where something was going to happen tonight. I needed to go and find out what that was.

Or...did I? Really? Because it was actually kind of really nice for Alice to come all this way to invite me over. Definitely an odd thing for a Cullen to do—other than Bella, they didn't have any close friends outside of the family. I was pretty lucky to have this opportunity. I needed to accept before it slipped away—

"Yes!" I said, excitement infusing my tone. "That'd be great. Just let me clock out real quick..." I put down the box of spaghetti noodles in my hand and absently strolled to do as I'd said. The manager in the office didn't even blink an eye, though my co-worker at the register was giving me a strange look. She obviously didn't understand how amazing this was.

Making it back to where I'd left them, I said, "Okay, I'm ready."

Alice smiled. "Great! Let's go." She led the way and I followed with Jasper trailing behind me.

The ride in their shiny car was a blur. Lots of trees. Zero talking. I'm not sure I blinked at all the entire trip there. But then we were in front of their ginormous house and I felt like all I could do was blink. And smile lazily. Could I feel my face? Was my face still there?

"Maybe a bit much, Jazz," Edward said as we stood in their living room—when did I get here? I thought I was outside.

"She didn't want to come with us," Jasper said. Was he talking about me? I wanted to be here!

"No, I do!" I told him eagerly, hoping he wouldn't send me home.

His expression went hard. "I know. We're not letting you go anywhere. Calm down."

I released a relieved breath. "Thank you."

A soft voice spoke up from a doorway across the room. "I'm not sure this is a good idea."

My gaze snapped over to see a beautiful brunette frowning at me. A tall man I knew was Dr. Cullen stepped up behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "You're not even a little curious?"