Chapter Thirteen

Felicity

The day after the fall with Bella, I woke up still feeling exhausted. But I couldn't go back to sleep—I had to go to work. So I dragged myself out of bed and into the shower, hoping that would help snap me awake.

It ended up doing the job well enough that I felt I'd be able to make it through my shift without passing out. It helped that the scent of coffee brewing was drifting through the apartment as I made my way to the kitchen.

Paul looked up from a massive bowl of cereal when I walked in. "Morning, doll."

"Morning," I mumbled, going directly to the coffee pot.

"I figured you'd need some after the hell that was yesterday," Paul said.

I took a sip before heading over the the toaster and said, "And I have to be at work in an hour. So that'll be fun."

Paul frowned. "Maybe you should call in today. A day off wouldn't be remiss so you could rest."

I shook my head. "I seriously need the hours. I'm lucky I could grab some extra ones during spring break."

His eyes narrowed as he studied me contemplatively. "You know, I can chip in too. I'm practically living here. Let me help out with stuff."

"Not necessary," I said with a sigh. "Elijah still covers...a lot." Practically everything was what I didn't want to say, even though it was the truth.

He scoffed. "Even more reason to let me pitch in. You don't need the stress of leaning on your ex." He paused, looking speculative. "And it'd probably be beneficial to make things a little easier on him and Leah right now."

I glanced over from where I was buttering my toast. "What's going on with them?"

"Leah's father died yesterday," Paul said solemnly.

"Oh no." I released a soft breath. "That's terrible." I finished preparing my breakfast and carried it over to the table, taking the seat opposite Paul. "And you're right. I should cut them loose. This month's bills are topped up, but I'll see what I can do from now on. I think I'm going to have to move."

Scraping the bottom of his bowl, Paul lifted a brow. "Why would you have to move? I said I'd help."

I pursed my lips. "Even so, these apartments are too nice. We could probably swing it, but it'd be tight. I want more breathing room." I took a bite of my toast. Once I swallowed, I added, "Besides, it's not like this place holds memories of sunshines and rainbows. So it'd be two birds with one stone."

Paul lifted the bowl, drinking the milk that was left. Then he said, "I don't like you moving to lesser apartments, though. That's a shitty idea."

I snorted. "It's Forks, Paul. Not like there's any bad parts of the neighborhood. I'll just end up with less amenities."

He nodded, rubbing his chin in thought. "Would you be up to moving in together?"

I blinked at him. "You mean like we are already currently doing?"

He smirked. "No, smartass. I mean officially. Both our names on the lease and all that fun stuff. We split everything down the middle, and I'm officially living wherever you are so I don't have to deal with going to my dad's place. Then it'd be three birds with one stone."

He made good points—it was all in all a great idea. We were already practically doing it. And it wasn't like Paul was tough to live with. He was actually a model roommate, as far as I could tell. And he'd been trustworthy from day one. So really, there wasn't a decision to make—the answer was obvious.