Closer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So, do you like pancakes? I'm afraid I'm out of bacon, sausage, and ham. Looks like I need groceries. With an extra person here my food supply goes much quicker." He laughs to make things less awkward.

I laughed too. "Yes, I like pancakes. You?"

Asher shrugs. "I don't mind them. I'd rather have eggs and toast. Coffee usually is all I have. Sweets aren't my thing in the morning..."

I laugh again. This is weird. A good weird but still weird...

I guess I never pictured myself in some mansion with white picket fences and a rich sexy husband.

I always thought I'd be forever alone... living in some shabby run down apartment with my mother who would always be yelling at me.

My stomach churned. Why did my mother even think about selling me? Let alone why did she actually go through with it. I mean I've been here for a while now and Asher isn't all that bad. He's got the amazing looks and the charming attitude.

But how could I ever begin to believe he picked me? Or that anything in this "relationship" would be close to love? He was a stranger to me.

We still hardly knew each other.

Silence set in over us as Asher cooked the pancakes. A memory pops up. My father when I was really little would make me Mickey Mouse pancakes. I giggle, missing those times.

Asher turned to me, looking ready to question my actions when I jumped the gun and told him.

"My father use to make me pancakes when I was little. My favorite were the Mickey Mouse ones."

Asher raised an eyebrow. "Mickey mouse pancakes?" Now it was my turn to be confused.

"Have you never had them as a child?" I question.

Asher turned away to flip the pancake. "My childhood wasn't family oriented..."

My heart sank at that. He never grew up with Mickey Mouse pancakes. And what's worse is that I seem to recall he was homeschooled. Over time I didn't begin to recall what happened that first night at the restaurant. I distinctly remember feeling sad about his childhood.

Did he even have a childhood? Or was he kept hidden away from the world, only to interact with business men?

"Hmm... that's it, hand me the spatula!" I walk over to Asher and stick out my hand. He gives me a look. I keep up my firm stance. "You are about to see the wonders of childhood my friend." I justly state.

Asher just kinda smiles amusedly and hands me the spatula. I take the batter and pour a big circle in the middle of the pan. As soon as it starts bubbling I pour two smaller circles on either side on the top of circle.

They start to bubble too and I flip the pancake over to cook the other side.

Once I know that it's done I take it off and put it on the plate. I hand the plate to Asher and smile. "Eat up." I state, putting the plate into Asher's hands.

He stares at it. "This is a Mickey Mouse pancake?" He questioned.

I started to feel self conscious after that remark. "Why, does it not look like one? Here I'll make a better one!" I turn around to make another one but Asher stops me. "No, it looks fine. I just..." He trails off.

I begin to realize it. He's never seen one either..?!

"You've never seen one huh?" Asher nods. I smile.

"Then I'll make as many as you want!" I smile at him hoping this would cheer his now downed mood.

Asher smiles and we both begin to make pancakes for one another. We end up using all the batter. Sitting down to eat I excitedly pour some syrup on to my pancake and cut off a piece with my fork.