4: Replacement (Part One)

Kyle's POV

"Thank you for inviting me over to your place of residence Kyle, I rarely get invited out by friends." Gregory looked to me; his black messenger bag hung low over his sholder.

Seeing that Stan is so preoccupied with y'know, literally anything but his friends right now, I decided not to waste the afternoon and invite Gregory over instead. I don't think he's too accustomed to hanging around with middle class people, he seems very out of place in South Park's suburban neighbourhoods.

"This is my house right here!" I point over to our right, guiding Gregory to my place.

"Your home is quite elegant, Kyle, which way is your room?" He asks politely, grasping his hands together and smiling innocently.

"Up here, to the left, and uh, thanks." I reply, walking up the staircase and into my messy, not-so-elegant room.

"Wow, you have a television in your room? My parents would never allow me such!" Gregory walks around my room, observing every little piece of it. He looks relaxed, way more than what I am right now anyway. This is so awkward! His bag probably costs more than everything I own.

"Interesting..." he uttered quitley under his breath, looking at some of my track trophies. "What are these for?" He ask, turning to face me.

"Oh uh, They're the trophies I won over the past few years for track and field." I explain, only for Gregory to look at me with a confused look.

"Track...?" He repeats, unsure. He tilts his to the right with his lips pursed.

"Uh-," I quickly gather my thoughts together. "Track... its like running and stuff. All of those awards are for field though, like high jump, erm, I really like high jump." I stutter. I feel so awkward whenever I'm forced to talk about my awards. It just seems so out of place to brag about accomplishments and what not.

"That's incredible! Are you very athletic?" He continues to ask questions.

"Ehh... kinda? High jump is the only field event I really enjoy doing... and maybe some other events occasionally, like long jump or something. " I explain, throwing a bunch of dirty clothes into my wash basket in an attempt to somewhat tidy up.

"Wow!" he gasps, turning his attention away from my trophies. "My parents would never let me engage in 'rough' sports, although I did take up some fencing in my free time." Gregory flops down on my bed, making a swift hand motion as he lands on my blanket.

I sit down beside him. "Fencing? Like the sword thing?" I ask curiously.

He smiles upwardly, taking his messenger bag off and placing it on the floor below him.

"Yeah," he takes a quick breath. "One of my father's friends taught lessons to any children interested, so I was enrolled and well, simply learnt how to fence."

"That's so much cooler than High Jump! Yardale must of opened up a bunch of opportuni-"

*RING*

Oh, my door bell just rung. It's probably my dad trying to get back in the house after forgetting his keys this morning.

"Uh, I'll be right back!" I tell Gregory as I race down the stairs to open the door.

"Dad, you need to stop forgetting your keys!"

"My bad" A youthful voice says sarcastically. A youthful voice in a blue denim jacket.

"Stan? Why are you here?" I swing the door wide open, to see Stan's hands awkwardly shuffling around in his pockets.

"Oh uh, I just came to by to apologize for my actions earlier today. I was being really rude and stuff and-," I cut him off.

"I understand that you want to spend more time with your-" I gulp, my voice better not crack. "...your girlfriend and all, and that's okay. It really is" I force a smile to go with it, leaning on the doorframe to appear more natural.

He turns away for a second, probably thinking of what to say to me. "But I do wanna spend more time with you.. you and Kenny and unfortunately Cartman, who'll inevitably show up." He grins.

I take a deep breath, ready to accept his apology and resume our totally normal, perfectly straight lives when-,

"Kyle I apologize to interrupt your conversation but your younger brother is requesting your aid-," Gregory is now standing at the bottom of the stairwell, gesturing to a whining Ike at the top of the stairs. Unfortunately, the stairwell is in perfect eyeshot of the door.

"Kyle..." Stan starts, swerving his line of vision around me to stare at the blond boy behind me. "Is that... Gregory?"

"Y-Yeah.... he's uh, having a sleepover!" I awkwardly lie, thinking that a sleepover is somehow more casual than just, I don't know, hanging out? God I'm an idiot!

"Bib Brubba!" Ike squeals; descending the stairs.

"He's the asshole that tried to get with Wendy all those years ago! Why are you..." Stan stops, and blankly stares at Gregory, who looks around innocently. "I'll come by later... I guess." And with that, Stan walks off to leave Gregory and I alone.

"Oh... I apologize Kyle, your brother came into your room requesting your presence s-"

"It's fine. Let's go back up to my room. It didn't matter anyway."

Except it absolutely mattered to me. Stan matters to me.

((Why did Ike remain a toddler? The world may never know))