Chapter Twelve : So Much About You

Monday morning after I park, I'm almost immediately confronted by Michelle. It's then that I remember that she never texted me back after telling me that she wanted to talk to me.

She has a despondent look on her face though she's trying to smile at me, so I return it.

"Hi, Anita," she says rather quietly, which is a significant change from her usual jolly tone. "I'm sorry I didn't text back, I got my phone taken away before I had a chance to."

"That's alright, I was just worried," I tell her. "Do you still want to tell me whatever it was that was bothering you?"

"Yeah... I don't know if you're one of those people who hates skipping, but... Do you mind if we skip one or two periods? I kind of want to talk to you and you alone, without anything or anyone to interrupt us."

I think it over. Missing a couple periods for once wouldn't be a big deal. "I'm okay with that," I assure her. "Where are we gonna go?"

"Starbucks or something... We can take my car?"

"Sure."

I then follow a slightly less forlorn-looking Michelle out of the school parking lot and across the street. As we walk down the sidewalk, I see Dylan getting off the city bus, and he does a double take when he sees me.

He mouths "where are you going" and I mouth back for him to text me. Michelle has a really nice, red sedan that has lots of random clothes on the inside of it as we buckle up.

"Sorry about the mess," she apologizes as she starts the car. "I'm not the most organized of people."

I chuckle, "I don't mind."

My phone vibrates in my pocket, and I read the text from Dylan as Michelle pulls onto the road.

    Skipping school, are we?

Only like two or three periods, ok

    No, you have to be in English. For me.

I smile after reading that one, then reply: Ok (:

    Wait, why are you even skipping? With Michelle?

I'm making new friends ??

    What about me? :(

Aw, Dyl, u kno ur always number one

    K, but don't call me Dyl. Makes me feel like I'm a pickle.

Hahahahaha omg, class has started now so pay attention

    Go make friends.

After Michelle parks in front of a Starbucks I've never even seen before, we get out into the warm morning air for just a second. Inside, there are a few people; mostly business men or women getting their morning coffee.

Michelle gets a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino and I get my usual Java Chip, each of us paying for our own. We pick a table in the back where the lighting isn't as profuse and we can smell the fresh coffee beans. Both of us take a long pull from our straws before Michelle begins talking.

"Okay, well," she starts. "I just want you to know, before I start, that I'm only telling you all of this because I think you're a really honest person and understanding. You seem to be able to comprehend things really easily, so... that, combined with your honesty, makes me think you'd be able to tell me the truth. Am I right?"

I nod, "People tell me I'm a good listener, good advice-giver. I tell people the truth, rather than just what they want to hear."

"Good, I really need that right now... My best friend Taryn won't even talk to me anymore... A lot of people won't."