Chapter Twenty-Nine : That's Not True

"Are you sure you wanna go on this road trip?", dad asks the day before. "We've always watched the ball drop on the tv at midnight."

"Exactly, dad," I reply, leaning against the kitchen counter. "No offense, but I can't spend every New Year's staring at the television with my father."

"I know, I know, I'm just messing with you. I'll be missing you, that's all."

I smile a little sadly, "Don't be. I'm sure by the same token you'll be glad to be rid of me for a day."

"Nonsense, I'm never glad of your absence. But I do have to say I can do without the confusing teenage phrases, odd kitchen dancing, and obnoxious singing every once in a while."

"Come on, you love it."

He laughs, "I really do, that's why I'll miss you so much!"

"I'll be sure to call you first thing in the new year."

"Cross you heart?"

I giggle, "And hope to die."

Later that night when I am readying myself to head on over to Dylan's, some weird turn of events takes place whereupon none other than James Collins is knocking upon my door. James Collins, as in Football Guy Two. How does he even know where I live?

I pull the door open, little Ophelia at my side looking ready to attack, should our visitor be a robber (which wouldn't do much damage).

Once the door is open all the way, I see James standing there looking nervous as all Hell. The only thing stranger than seeing him on my front porch at all is the fact that he looks so incredibly nervous. I stare at him a moment whereupon Ophelia barks once, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"James?", I ask, just to be sure he's actually here right now.

His green eyes snap up to meet mine, "Anita, yes, hi."

This is so weird. "Um, it's really cold out here. Would you like to come inside?"

"Uh, sure, I mean... I guess."

Quirking an eyebrow, I stand aside to allow him to walk past the threshold into the front room. The door gets shut and the two of us stand there idly. Nothing being said for a few moments. This is... um...

"So I guess you're wondering what the Hell I'm doing here," he says as his eyes go everywhere about the room.

"Just a little."

"Okay, well, I just... Something has been brought to my attention that I thought you might like to be notified about."

I tilt my head at him in interest, "What is it?"

"You know how I told you that I was talking to a girl named Raina? When we were put together for that game at Adrian's party?"

"Yeah?"

"Raina and I stopped talking. Because she said she has eyes for someone else now."

I narrow my eyes, forming my own calculations, "It wouldn't happen to be my boyfriend, would it?"

"Actually, it would," he sighs, finally meeting my eyes. "She told me a couple weeks ago, but I didn't think it was a problem. You know, because he's dating you."

Where is he going with this? "Right... And?"

"Well last night I was hanging out with some friends, and one of them happened to be one of Raina's best friends. I know it's not really my business, but... she told me that Dylan and Raina went on a date like three days ago."