𝐯

anecdote three

point of view: lilliana hearst

when:  lilliana's 16th birthday, 1998

"happy birthday, dear lilliana, happy birthday to you!" the chorus of song was deafening. my 16th was the last one of all my friends, considered to be the finale. with friends like logan, adalicia, eddie, jackson - we were unstoppable. 

my parents had gone all out, filling our mansion with friends, family, and business associates. 

but the five of us, no. we of course created our little sub-party, bored of shaking hands and pretending to care for the chairpersons of boards our parents were on. we lay on the floor of the pool house, drinking champagne, singing our childhood anthems, and talking about our futures.

"well i know one thing for sure. i want to get hopelessly drunk tonight, lord knows i don't need to think about dear father's wishes for us to go to oxford." eddie complained in his british accent, as leesh tiredly nodded in agreement. 

"i want to make him really mad and go to university here," she smirked with her eyes closed, "what's the most american college you can think of?"

"yale?" logan's almost mindless suggestion sparked a fire inside us. 

we each looked up and said it. 

"yale."

that was the night we started to properly think about life beyond high school, beyond the constant cycle of tedious parties, and beyond our controlling parents. 

*:・゚