»13

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO 'IT WILL RAIN' BY BRUNO MARS

COLD WATER
CHAPTER 13

THE RECEIPT FOR YOUR GEAR. Nava was sitting on the office table. She didn't have to glance back to know the voice that had spoken belonged to Sharon. She pushed her feelings aside for her at the moment. The ice was suffocating itself in the bag, melting leisurely against her bruises and liquefying into water. Her eyes were melting along with the water, and every time she blinked her vision blurred a bit. She required rest that she hadn't earned in the previous days. Steve had suggested she get some sleep whilst they took care of the Bucky situation, but Nava couldn't sleep. She did anything but sleep at night, because all she could think about was Bucky. What kept her motivated to stay awake was the scenario running through her head of her collapsing in Bucky's arms. All she wanted to do was be in his presence, but it seemed so impossible at the moment.

At night, Nava skimmed through the reasons that her attachment to Bucky was created. She was able to develop explanations including several rational theories and others rather intricate and insensate. She was too exerted of energy to encounter them again. Sam's complaints pulled her from her despondent thoughts.

"'Bird Costume?' Come on."

"I didn't write it."

Nava tried her best to focus her damaged eyes through the glass windows of the office and at the screen. Sharon was looking at her in pity. She shrugged her jacket on, cold and irritated.

"I'm not hear to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions." If it was possible, Nava's eyes widened. The screen that had been hovering over her head had turned on, displaying Bucky in restraints, the investigator interrogating him. She looked back at Sharon- who looked back at her, not Steve, but her. She smiled and Nava returned the genuine gesture. Maybe Sharon wasn't so bad after all. "Do you know where you are, James?" Nava's pained eyes focused back on the tv.

"I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

"My name is Bucky."

Her skin felt like it was on fire, as if she was the thing melting the ice. She was sweaty and clammy, but the area coated in bruises was too cold. She was drowsy and her eyes were half opened. "Why would the task force release this photo to begin with?" Steve's voice was the only thing keeping her conscious. She wasn't in her right mind; she just shrugged.

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" suggested Sharon.

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Solider." Nava's eyebrows were furrowed together, trying to keep up with the conversation.