Chapter 7

I didn't know what to think when I got that text. I was slightly mad at Kay because she could have just asked for my number, a little creeped out because she got my number from somewhere with just my name, annoyed because I just let her go without doing anything to stop her and because she didn't keep her end of her deal but, apart from all that, I was slightly flattered. No one had ever paid this much attention to me...not like this anyway. I sat staring at the text before I sent the shortest text of my life.

Kay?

"Sherlock" The text I received seconds later read.

There was something very wrong about this. I had only told Kay my name 5 minutes ago but by the time I looked at my phone I had already got the text. And there was no way that she could have sent that text before we spoke because there was no way she could have known how our conversation would have gone. I looked at the time at which I had received the text, the time it was now and estimated how long we'd been talking and how long I was stood watch her walk away...which was a pretty nice sight.

So the only possible time she could have sent the text was when she was walking away from me. Which means she must have known my number before we spoke. But then why did she ask my last name? And where did she get my number? Ok so I'm like a female Sherlock but this had me stumped.

So you're stalking me now? I replied

That's not a very nice way to talk to someone. Especially when that someone saved you from a particularly terrible night. I could practically hear her taunting me in that text, although I knew she wasn't being mean, and I scoffed.

No. This is the way I talk to liars. I've know you less than a day and all you've done is lie to me.

What are you up to today? She texted back, seeming to change the subject.

Recovering. I texted back simply before I turned my phone off and went downstairs to grab some breakfast.

******

I didn't hear from Kay for the rest of the day and when I turned my phone back on on Sunday evening, I had one text from Claire. It had one sentence about me and the rest was about her and her wild night at some guy's house. I really wasn't in the mood for her so I did some homework, threw my headphones on and I was in bed by 9.

The next morning Claire picked me up as usual in her Fiat Punto. I slid into the passenger seat and threw my backpack into the backseat before I leaned back and looked blankly through the windshield.

"Oh hello to you too. I'm great thanks for asking. I just spent all of Saturday under James in his stinky college apartment but you don't want to her about that do you? You didn't answer my text but I don't know why so I'm assuming you're mad at me but I don't know why." She turned off the car and swivelled in her seat accusingly.

I bit my lip. Whenever Claire used that irritating tone in her voice I knew that I could take the conversation in two directions. I could either give in to that argumentative mentality she had and have a huge fight with her or I could just roll over like a little dog and apologise for breathing. But this time I had something against her. "You have no idea why I might be mad? I'm sorry but if you can't see why I might be just a little bit pissed you can't be Claire. Because Claire, although she may be a natural blonde, does have a brain. Last time I checked anyway."

"Care bear..." She whispered as she took my hands and played with my fingers gently. "I hope you realise that you're blonde. And, Jessie look...I...don't really know what happened that night." Oh god she knew what she was doing. She called me my nickname, care bear, and was running her fingers gently up to my wrist. She was such a flirt. And after Friday night I though she knew I liked her which really didn't help me. "I was drunk. You know how I get when I'm drunk."

We sat looking at each other for a long time before she finally started the car and began the short journey to school. We had many goldfish moments along the way: moments when we opened our mouths to say something but nothing came out so we closed them again. As she parked in the parking lot she finally sucked in a deep breath and spoke. "Jessie...I'm not saying I like you...and I'm not saying I'm gay..." She swivelled in her seat and looked at me "But what I am saying is that I'm feeling different."

I waited for her to continue but it soon became clear that she wasn't going to, which forced me to say something. "What kind of different?"

She shrugged, "I dunno. Just different."

I noticed her hand inching towards mine after I had looked at the time on the radio and I my door quickly, trying to avoid Claire's overly flirtatious ways. "We're late."

"Care bear..." I heard her call but I just kept walking. I walked briskly through the corridors and sank into my favourite corner of the library. I had German first period and, as I spoke fluent German from spending a year in Germany, I had no reason to go besides being bombarded by questions about the past tense and word order.

I opened the book I hid in under a book shelf but found myself staring over the top of it thinking about Claire and Kay. I really didn't know what to think of Claire right now. She was an overly flirtatious bitch but she was still my best friend...my best friend that seemed to have a thing for me. And Kay...What was there to say about Kay? She was so gorgeous but I knew virtually nothing about her. So she was nice because she walked me home, abnormally strong, was very good with her words...

I sighed and rested my head on the wall behind me. "Kay" I breathed through another sigh.

"You called?" That deliciously unforgettable voice sounded from behind another shelf. I got up quickly and jogged around the shelf to the rounded table where that beautiful redhead was sitting with her slender legs crossed and her hair in a low ponytail, showing of her gleaming eyes. I looked at her in shocked and she smiled sweetly before she bit her lip, seemingly nervous. "Ok...I know you're mad at me but I also know you're not having the best morning. I just wanted to know if I could help."

"How the hell could you know that? Seriously are you stalking me?" I slide into the chair opposite Kay and rested my arms on the table.

"It's written all over your face. And no I'm not stalking you." She booked marked the book I hadn't noticed she was holding and set it aside while her silver eyes locked on to my green ones.

"Then why are you in a high school when you're 20 years old?" I raised an eyebrow and she giggled, widening her perfect smile.

"Mind if we get outta here? I really need to talk to you." She seemed to swallow and waited for my answer but she had done this before so I leaned back in my chair and broke her eye contact.

"Will you talk to me properly this time?"

She giggled and took my hand after she had gotten up. She started to pull me towards the library door. "This time, I have no choice."