Chapter 9

“What the hell Kay!” I screeched up at her. She was kissing Dani’s blood soaked neck passionately, making disgusting slurping noises as she made her way from the side towards the base of her vocal chords. Dani whimpered gently. I looked back to the man before me and look him in fully, from his thoroughly tattooed chest down to his ¾ length jeans and bare feet. His chest was heaving heavily and his shoulders shook.

“Ego ikanos  aisthanomai afti!” He bellowed so loudly I pressed my back against the tree to get away from the deafening sound. Even a few leaves began to sway gently in the light breeze as they reached the forest ground.

Click

I stood up straight and gritted my teeth hard. “Now you listen to me! I have no idea what the hell a Farist is or what the hell you’re saying. I don’t even know what language you are speaking. But until you explain whatever the hell you are on about, I can’t fucking hell you.”

“Ego ikanos  aisthanomai afti,” he repeated at a normal sound. “It means I can feel her. Where is she? Help me little girl and Dani comes down.”

“I don’t know who you want. I don’t even know who you are. Just explain yourself and I’ll try my best.” I crossed my arms around my chest, enjoying my sudden confidence and leaned on the tree nonchalantly

He looked as though he was about to speak but I whipped my head away from him when I heard felt the gentle vibration of the ground beneath me. Kay had jumped from Dani’s branch and had an incredibly limp looking Dani strung atop her shoulder. She set Dani down at the base of the tree but her eyes never left the man in front of me. She spoke but I couldn’t catch anything she said. Her voice seemed to flow in a wave of unintelligible music that was, although beautiful, spine tingly freighting. The man was taller than Kay by a few inches but her seemed to shrink under the power of her voice, going first onto one knee, then the other and finally on to his hands like some kind of servant.

Kay’s back was to me but there was no mistaking the sharp quiver in her hair that was lightening to a startling amaranth. It rose in wave and sank back as if it had a life of its own. Her voice was just a cold, low murmur but all around her the air rippled as if her voice was an angry droplet on unsuspecting water. The man sunk further as if being crushed under the weight of Kay’s voice which masked the rumblings of distant explosions. She suddenly shouted. The air around me exploded and I was sent flying into Dani’s tree. My shoulder took the force of the blow and I landed right next to Dani who had her hands clasped tightly over her ears.

I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. It will be over soon, I heard Kay’s voice say but she was still shouting at the man whose name I caught was Mica.

And just like that it was over. He had to try to get up several times because of his buckling knees but he finally managed to stand on shaky legs. He eyed Kay in a look I didn’t look but knelt before her and bowed his head. Kay turned to me and beckoned me with an outstretched hand. I shook my head and cowered against Dani who was still shaking in my arms. Kay said something to Mica and he grimaced before rising to his feet. He walked towards me slowly behind Kay. She outstretched her hand again and I took it and stood timidly next to me. Mica bowed in front of me. “I am truly sorry for my outburst. I had no right to do so. You had no knowledge of what I was speaking and I offer you my most sincere apologies.”

I didn’t know what to say so there was an awkward silence which only I could fill. “Er…it’s cool, I guess. No harm no foul.” I look awkwardly at Kay and she smiled comfortingly before she said something else in her strange language which was led my Mica giving us one last low, sharp bow. He turned and ran towards the thickest patch of trees and shrubbery and disappeared into the greenery. I just stoop, watching the space where Mica had gone when Kay attempted to lace her fingers with my own. I jerked my hand away as if it were some kind of snake and I knelt in front of Dani whose head was rolling and swaying while her eyes wandered but focused on nothing. I ran my hand down her blood stained cheek and her huge pupils snapped into focus directly on me. “Oh Dani…” I whispered, my voice breaking from my hidden tears.

“She’s fine. She won’t…”

“Shut up!” I screamed at Kay, using all the force of my voice which actually took us both by surprised. “Don’t you say a fucking word! Not in your made up language, not to try to calm me down with your farist bullshit. Nothing.!” I turned to Dani and stroked away a tear that swept some of the blood from her cheek, leaving it with a single track of naturally flushed cheek. Kay gave an intake of breath but I didn’t care. She needed to hear it.

I tried to get Dani to speak but she was too weak. She nodded at what she could but her head continued to roll. I tried to pick her up but she planted all her weight on the ground and pointed up towards the sky. The trees that stood high above me suddenly began to tremble more and more, first from a light breeze and soon from a storm that blew the summer leaves from their trees, that ripped the brilliant summer flowers from the lush grass and trapped my hair in a tight grasp around my eyes. It was several seconds before I could see again and I was alone. No blood-stained Dani and no unnecessarily mysterious Kay. I was really starting to get pissed off. I sat on the log I had perched on before and sat there like a petulant child because something inside me told me that Kay didn’t have it in her to leave me.

I closed my eyes and counted to ten slowly in my head. One, two, three, I sighed and crossed my legs but felt something hit my knee on the ascent. I opened my eyes and whipped my head around to see Kay in the driving seat of what seemed to be a black Jaguar. My leg had hit the dashboard and an entirely better looking Dani sat in the back seat, bloodless, bruise-less and with a natural smile on her pink lips. She even had new clothes and in the rear-view mirror, she and Kay seemed to share a silent, secret word. I gripped the edge of the seat and leaned forward, realising that my seatbelt was already buckled.

I raised my fist to smack the dashboard in utter frustration but my hand never made it as it was caught in Kay calm hand, positioned perfectly above the surface of the dashboard. I closed my eyes again, my blood boiling and head throbbing from a pounding headache. I had reached just over four minutes before the car stopped (not that I had felt it moving) right outside my house. Kay got out immediately and opened Dani’s door for her with a smile. Dani locked her arms around Kay’s neck in a fierce hug and kissed her cheek before skipping to the house. I ripped the car door open and made a beeline for the front door.

“Can we talk?”

I grinded my teeth together and my fists shook, revealing how truly angry I was. “You save me from being raped and then you run away. You come to my house the next day promising we’d talk and you run but at least I got a text by then. Then you come to my school asking me to talk yet again and you bring me to the woods, the middle of nowhere where my sister is hanging from a tree by a rope, battered and bloody, one eye sealed shut. You show me that guy who spoke in that bullshit language, threatening me and screaming at me, making me deals for my sisters life and now, after all that, all you can say is can we talk? Fuck you!” I was screaming by the end and I could see the curtains of the neighbours twitch as they peeked outside to watch the commotion. “Just leave me alone Kay. You’re more trouble than you’re worth.” And with that I stalked off to my house and slammed the door behind me, symbolising the end of the madness with me and the continually infuriating red head.