Fairy Tail, My Family

Lucy sighed, her head resting in her hand, absentmindedly stirring her straw in her strawberry smoothie. For the past few days, she could not shake this feeling of melancholy. Maybe it was the time of year. For the anniversary of her mother's death, she had gone to Acalyphia Town to lay flowers on her parents' graves. That in itself always made her feel sad and alone - she was the last of her family, the last Heartfilia.

No, she wasn't really alone, she thought, glancing around the Guild. Fairy Tail was her family now. She wouldn't give them up for the world. But, every once in a while, she did wonder how her life would be different if her mother had not died. Certainly the memories of her childhood and of her father's cold demeanor – which, as an adult, she recognized as him suffering from a deep depression and guilt – towards her young self would never have happened. Only in the last year did she feel she got to know her mother as more than...well, her mother.

Layla Heartfilia had been a celestial wizard. One of the best. Her ancestor, Anna, was also a great wizard. While Lucy had memories of her mother's spirits, which she then inherited as her own over time, she never got to see her mother in action.

All this had come to light recently upon her 21st birthday. Soon after, Capricorn had presented her with a letter her mother had written to her before her death. It explained so much about her heritage as a wizard! On her 25th, her mother had promised, she would be presented with Anna's journal. Capricorn had seemed grim about this, actually snapping at Lucy when she begged to receive the journal now. Of course, he had immediately apologized, but had remained firm on her mother's wishes. What secrets did it contain that her mother had to hide it in the celestial world until she felt Lucy was mature enough to take possession of it?

The hopes and dreams her mother had for her young daughter...would she be proud of the woman she was today? Did she live up to this impressive family lineage? It was a lot to weigh on her right now. In fact, it had been so forefront in her mind, she'd almost become obsessed with it. She hadn't been able to write. She hardly was able to focus on anything, and had sunk into a kind of depression.

It didn't help her feelings of isolation, looking at the members gathered in the Guild Hall. Glancing covertly around, she watched the Strauss siblings interact. What she wouldn't give to have an older brother or sister to look up to, someone to give her advice, or even be of the same blood! Someone to share the strain of coming from such a strong family history. Someone to share the responsibility of living up to someone else's dream.

It didn't help that love seemed to be in the air – Gajeel and Levy, Lisanna and Bixslow, Elfman and Evergreen....even Gray seemed to be more tolerant of Juvia's obsessiveness lately! Even her own spirits seemed to be affected, like Loke and Aries and out there, somewhere, Aquarius and her boyfriend, Scorpio. She didn't regret her friends finding love – she was happy for them. Just...she was tired of feeling like the third wheel. It was unfortunate that the one that she saw herself with romantically saw her as nothing more than a friend.

Getting up, she left the Guild Hall, unnoticed. She knew she needed to do something to get out of this funk - she really didn't like feeling sorry for herself. It was just a really sucky time to be alone, she thought, her eyes filling with tears. Maybe a hot bath and a long nap might help, she shrugged to herself as she walked back to her apartment. Maybe a change of scene might help her writing. Ever since she had read the letter, she hadn't been able to focus on her novel.

She summoned one of her spirits, Pluu, after she got out of her bath. He seemed to sense her mood and climbed up into her lap, snuggling close, as she brushed her long hair. Yes, maybe that nap might help, she thought, her eyes feeling heavy. Her novel, as usual, would wait. Instead, she curled up under her blanket and slept.

At the Guild Hall:

"I'm worried about Lucy," Levy said to Lisanna. "Have you noticed how quiet she's been lately?"

"She has been looking a little down," Lisanna agreed, sitting down across from Levy.

"Humph. Maybe she's missing flame brain," Gajeel suggested,opening one eye. Levy started. She thought he had fallen asleep!

"Natsu has been gone awhile with this latest mission," Lisanna replied thoughtfully. "As much as she likes to complain about him busting into her apartment," she giggled, "maybe she misses it!"

Levy nodded. "I think that might be part of it, but there's something else." She leaned closer to Lisanna. "Not too long ago, Capricorn appeared out of his own gate here at the hall and handed Lucy an envelope. I overheard him tell her it was a letter her mother had wanted delivered after her 21st birthday. She took it home to read it, and honestly, I don't think she's been the same since."

"Didn't she also go visit her parents' graves recently?"

Levy nodded. "The anniversary of her mother's death is coming up and she was afraid she wouldn't make it on the actual date." She sighed. "She won't talk to me. I feel uncomfortable bringing it up. Every time I try, she avoids it."

Lisanna frowned. "Wasn't she in here, earlier?" She looked around, trying to spot the blonde celestial mage.

Levy nodded. "She was. I was about to invite her over to our table when I looked up and she was gone."

Gajeel cleared his throat loudly. "Well, maybe instead of talking about it, you should go ask bunny girl what's up to her face," he said, not even bothering to open an eye this time. "As much as you all chatter, she's sure to tell you!"

Levy gave Gajeel's arm a hard poke, which only caused him to smile, and then move his arm so it rested on top of her head. He chuckled when she jerked away and let his arm fall to the table.

"I don't know," Levy sighed. "Part of me wants to confront her, but the other part of me says she's working it out and will come to me when she's ready."

Lisanna patted Levy's hand. "Once you decide what to do, let me know. I don't like seeing our Lucy so down."