The Job

In Kunugi:

"I'm Lucy of Fairy Tail, at your service!" smiled Lucy to the mayor, who had been the one to contact the Guild.

"Oh, there's just one of you?" The mayor looked behind her as if expected others to magically appear.

Lucy tried to hide her annoyance. Why was it others thought she couldn't do things alone?

"I'm all you need," she told him firmly, hoping her confidence showed in her tone.

"Oh, well, what kind of magic do you use?"

"I'm a celestial wizard."

"Oh, yes, then! A celestial wizard. Very rare nowadays aren't they," the mayor observed, nodding his head. "Kind of like having your own team isn't it?" he chuckled. He seemed more confident and Lucy felt her smile return.

"Yes, this Argeon is a tricky one," he began, showing her a picture. "He practices air magic. Somehow he convinced his guards to turn off the magic-shielding bars and poof! He was gone. He's been spotted in the forest outside of town, as well as coming into town for supplies. Of course, once we've been notified, he's gone. Poof!" he repeated, emphasizing the word with his hands.

Lucy nodded, already thinking of the spirits she could use to help bring this Argeon down.

Taking his picture, she thanked the mayor and assured him she would do her best to bring him in as soon as possible.

"Thank you," the mayor bowed. "He doesn't seem too violent and has used his magic for stealing things, not really harming others. I wish you luck, Lucy of Fairy Tail."

"Air magic," Lucy muttered, walking down the streets of Kunugi. "I wonder if it's like Wendy's in any way."

Her stomach grumbled and she winced. She hated to spend money already on food, but better not to work on an empty stomach. Also, it gave her an excellent opportunity to spend time with Loke creating a strategy.

"So, Loke, what do you think?" Lucy asked, taking back the paper from the spirit and putting it in her bag. Her strongest celestial spirit gave her a wink and a smile as he looked at her across from the table.

"I'm proud of you, Lucy, for taking this on by yourself. Not that we won't be there to work with you," he beamed. "We've missed you."

"I've missed you guys, too," Lucy replied softly, looking down, embarrassed.

"I'm sorry Capricorn upset you," he told her, taking on a more serious tone. "You know we're all proud of you – him the most. He often says you are so much like your mother."

Lucy looked up, tears in her eyes. "Thanks, Loke. I needed to hear that."

"Okay, well, what are we waiting for?" grinned Loke. "I'll see if I can scout some intell on where this Argeon is hiding and get back to you!" There was a shimmer in the air, and then he was gone.

Lucy paid for the late lunch and left the restaurant, deciding to check out the nearby forest. Hopefully this job wouldn't take too long and be just the thing to instill some confidence and brightness to her recent mood.

She couldn't help think about how quiet it was to work by yourself. Not having Natsu's chatter or Happy's teasing was strange. However, they were farther away in the Waas Forest completing a job out there that specifically called for a fire mage. It probably took them a whole week to get there, she thought with a sigh, knowing Natsu would probably shy away from any form of transportation. She stared ahead in the forest, realizing that she had no clue how to go about this. She glanced up a tall tree. Maybe she just needed a better view.

Huffing, she finally got to a taller branch in the tree that seemed like it would hold her weight. Okay, Happy would have been useful about this point as an aerial view, she decided. Score one for the cat.

Looking around, she was able to spot what looked like smoke from a campfire in the distance. It could be Argeon, or it could just be someone camping. Maybe she needed to see what Loke found out, she sighed.

Admit it, she thought, as she jumped the last length to the ground, landing gracefully on her feet (of course no one was there to see it, she thought, rolling her eyes). You miss Natsu. You even miss the damned obnoxious cat! It wasn't just their power - it was the companionship, the laughs they would have. Even the frustrations. Natsu made it an adventure. Granted, he tended to act before thinking, but it all worked out in the end every time, somehow!

"Oh Natsu," she sighed, speaking softly to herself. "Why can't you feel the same as I do?"

She felt the shimmer in the air and then Loke appeared.

"Hey there, beautiful. I found out some interesting information!"