Chapter 9

Aang was scourging a field near the ocean with his friends, looking for daisies to make flowers crowns out of. The only one not joining in was Lee, who was sat up on Appa playing with Momo, who had taken quite a liking to the firebender. Even Sokka was searching the field, though he said he was doing it out of force (Aang was pretty sure he just wanted to put some daffodils in his hair). The airbender was just about to grab another flower, when he noticed a club like Sokka’s lying unattended on the floor, its shaft cracked and old.

“Guys! I found something!” Aang jumped up and rushed over to the Water Tribe siblings, before presenting his find to them.

“Oh spirits… It couldn't be?” Katara gasped questioningly to her brother, her eyes wide.

“I- I think it is.” Sokka pulled out his own club and compared the two, aside from his being newer and more intact, they were identical. “This is a South Pole weapon!”.

The two stared at the weapon before turning to each other and sharing a bright smile, cheering with enough joy for Lee to come over curiously.

“What are you yelling about?” He yawned halfway through his question and rubbed his eyes, seeming paler than usual. Aang distantly wondered of instead of looking after Momo like he'd said, Lee had been trying to catch up on sleep. Which was fair, since the firebender clearly needed it.

“Our tribe was here! Maybe our dad too, let's look for other signs of them.” Sokka suggested, immediately beginning to search the field with much more vigor than before.

The four searched for a while, before Katara called that she'd found something and directed them to a few charred, blue arrows scattered in some long grass.

“There must have been a fight here between our tribe and the Fire Nation- let's check the docks for ships, they might still be here.” Sokka sounded hopeful, which Aang was glad for, and followed the older man towards the sea, now managing to see the different ships up close.

Luckily there were no Fire Nation ships, mostly just fishing boats and a few Earth Kingdom ships that seemed to be docking for supply runs. Then, at the very end of the line of sea vessels, a small Water Tribe ship sat seldom to the others near an abbey.

“That's a South Tribe ship! Is it Dad's?” Asked Katara excitedly, rushing up to the boat and seemingly wanting to hug it.

“It's- it's not Dad's.” The siblings visibly deflated at Sokka’s conclusion, and Aang struggled to think of a way to comfort them.

Yet apparently there was no need, as at that moment he sensed someone approaching from behind them and they all jumped into fighting positions, their attacks pointed towards a Water Tribe man with a heavily bandaged chest and arms.

“Well, I may not be your dad but-” The man was interrupted by squeals of delight from Sokka and Katara, who trapped him in a suffocating hug.

“Bato!” They cried, not bothering to key in either Lee nor Aang as to who exactly Bato was.

“Erm, who?” Asked Aang with a bit of a forced smile, feeling uneasy.

“This is Bato! He's our dad's friend- is dad here?!” Questioned Katara, pulling out of the hug and looking at a now frowning Bato expectantly.

“I'm sorry, kids, your dad and the other warriors had to move on. I was left here after I got injured- but in the next few days I should get a letter telling me where they're stationed so I can meet up with them. You two are welcome to join me- oh, and your friends, of course.” Offered Bato kindly, eliciting squeaks of happiness from the siblings.