Chapter 22

Azula marched into the circus, thanking the spirits that it was currently so close to Omashu, and looked around for her old friend. Said girl was currently in a handstand, and whooped excitedly at the sight of the Princess.

“Azula! It's been so long” She cheered, rushing forward back onto her feet and hugging the firebender, before getting firmly pushed away.

“Why, Ty Lee, how did a general’s daughter end up in the circus?” She asked in mock sweetness, ignoring the uncomfortable look on the gymnast’s face.

“It's just my calling, you know? Here I feel like myself, free and happy- my aura has never been pinker!” Explained Ty Lee, doing a backflip as if to prove her point.

“Really?” Said the princess, silently beginning to figure out how to get Ty Lee to help her. “Well, I have to ask you to leave this place to come and help me capture my brother, uncle and the avatar.”.

Ty Lee dithered uncomfortably, and Azula tilted her head at the girl’s distress, finding it amusing that she could even consider not helping her.

“Well… I'm sorry, Azula, but this is my home now, this is my life now. I can't help you.” She replied eventually, a satisfying cloud of fear in her eyes.

“Well then,” Azula bit back her fury and realised a way to force Ty Lee to join her, that would surely work. “I'd love to see your performance before I leave.”.

__

“And here is the fabled city, of Omashu!” Presented Sokka as they rounded a corner, gesturing towards what should have been an impressive Earth Kingdom city.

Except it wasn't, it was a smoking, half crumbled, Fire Nation city, with at least a dozen guards blocking their path to the front entrance. Their only saviour in this entire situation was that they were positioned on a hill far enough away from the city that it was unlikely they'd be spotted.

“No…” Muttered Aang sadly, staring at Omashu in heartbreaking shock. Katara patted his arm gently, and Zuko wondered silently what they'd do now.

“We need to get out of here, otherwise those soldiers will find us.” Warned Sokka, preparing to gather their belongings and get back on Appa, who they'd hidden back in the forest.

“No! We have to find Bumi!”Argued Aang stubbornly, adopting a fiery resolve Zuko wouldn't have expected from the usually cheery airbender.

“I'm sorry, Aang, but it's just too dangerous- Zuko will just have to find a different earthbending teacher.” Comforted Katara kindly, yet Aang paid her little mind.

“This isn't about earthbending! Bumi is my friend, and he's in there, so we are going to save him.” He decided sternly, and Zuko found himself nodding.

“Okay, but we can't get past those guards without attracting the attention of everyone inside. Plus, if any of those Fire Nation people see me they'll know exactly who I am.” Zuko began thinking about ways to invade Omashu, and, to everyone's pleasure, Aang immediately brightened up.

Zuko kept thinking whilst the others grabbed some mediocre disguises: Aang wore his hat and Earth Kingdom clothes and Katara and Sokka put on brown cloaks. When the Prince figured out the safest option he realised he'd have some explaining to do… Unless…

“Hey, I'm going to go and distract the guards- disguised, don't worry, Sokka- I'll meet you all back out here.” Zuko explained vaguely, picking up his pack and beginning to head towards where he hoped there'd be an Eastern entrance to the city.

“What?! You can't actually believe we're gonna let you go in there alone, can you?” Asked Sokka, exasperated beyond belief and looking close to handcuffing the two of them together to prevent him from running off.