Chapter 20

“Are we completely certain that this is where we should be going?” Asked Sokka worriedly, scanning the map with a frown despite this being the one time they weren't lost.

“Yes! Iroh said King Bumi would help us with Zuko’s earthbending training, and to get to Omashu this is the fastest route.” Replied Katara as she skimmed through some scrolls she'd picked up in the North Pole.

“And the town we'll be stopping off in will be on our side for once! No Fire Nation- um, no offence, Zuko.” Added Aang, giving the sulking firebender a sheepish smile.

The Prince had actually been in a worse mood than usual ever since they had all woken up two hours prior (though knowing Zuko he probably hadn't gotten any sleep at all) and it was only worsening as time wore on. At first Aang had presumed he was just sad from leaving his uncle behind, which was understandable, but they'd been flying without Iroh all of the day before without Zuko being nearly this grumpy.

“I just don't know, you guys… My instincts are telling me this is a bad idea.” Argued Sokka with a pleading voice that Katara didn't respond to.

“I think we should listen to Sokka, his instincts weren't wrong about Jet.” Zuko supported Sokka, though he was still frowning, and Aang might have begun to lean to their side had Katara not spoken up with an exasperated sigh.

“Well guess what? Appa is getting tired and stopping off in that town will be the calmest day or two we'll have in a while, so unless Sokka’s instincts can fly us the rest of the way to Omashu then we'll have to rest there, okay?! And don't pretend you're on Sokka’s side, Zuko, you just want to postpone your earthbending training for some reason!” Ranted the waterbender, shutting both her brother and the Prince up, and quelling any desire Aang had previously had to be on their side.

About twenty minutes later the coast of the Earth Kingdom came into view, and with it the sight of a small town. Thankfully the town, as Aang had mentioned earlier, really didn't have even the slightest hint of red in the entire place, and was therefore free of the Fire Nation. They landed Appa on the beach in front of where several Earth Kingdom soldiers stood, waiting to greet them, and the four climbed off of Appa and walked up to them.

“Greetings, Avatar Zuko, Sokka and Katara of the Southern Water Tribe and Airbender Aang! I am General Fong.” Greeted the man who was clearly in the lead; he wore silver and green armour, and bowed to them politely.

“Thank you so much for your hospitality, General, we are excited to stay in your town for a couple of days before heading to Omashu for Avatar Zuko’s earthbending training.” Katara smiled at the General and ignored the way Zuko was glaring at everybody in sight, and how he kept shuddering at the mention of him being the avatar.

“About that… I heard about what happened in the North Pole-” He started, beginning to lead the four towards the town.

“Sure, he destroyed most of it but that's water under the bridge.” Interrupted Sokka, probably guessing that General Fong was going to try and arrest Zuko or something.

“Exactly! I don't think he needs earthbending training- he's powerful enough to defeat the Fire Nation today!” Exclaimed Fong, turning around to see their shocked faces.

Zuko seemed ready to throw up, or break someone's nose (it was hard to tell). Sokka looked completely bewildered, and was struggling to compose a sentence. Katara looked similar to her brother, only she had managed to restrain her surprise a considerable amount. Aang himself was incredibly worried, because sure, Zuko was really powerful, but he hadn't been in control at the North Pole, and he hated the avatar state.

“Umm, excuse me, what?” Asked Katara, attempting to properly compose herself but failing miserably.

“Avatar Zuko took out an entire fleet, and most of a civilisation, singlehandedly! He could easily destroy the Fire Nation capital if he could control the avatar state!” He tried to convince them, but everybody seemed wary.