Chapter 21

“Okay, we have to get past those mountains to get into Omashu, but there are Fire Nation soldiers guarding them so it might be difficult to fly over them.” Sokka informed the others, scanning the map and then looking up to the cliffs they had to somehow get past.

It had been three days since they'd gotten away from Fong and most of the residual tension had seemingly dispersed, though Zuko was still in a royally bad mood most of the time and Aang still felt pretty guilty about the whole ordeal. Now Appa had landed a little way into a forest as Sokka attempted to find a way to Omashu, and the others were not being helpful in the slightest.

“Okay, maybe you won water-air-fire but I think I'll win-” Started Aang cheerily, ignoring Sokka, as he sat in a circle with Katara and Zuko.

“Aang, Zuko only won that game because he can switch elements! He has a totally unfair advantage!” Grouched Katara, splashing some water at Zuko’s smirk that he still wasn't skilled enough to block.

“Hey! I could've won with just firebending, you're just a sore loser!” He exclaimed, blasting air at Katara and causing her hair to frizz up messily.

“Well let's have a decider! Whoever can name the most cities in alphabetical order wins.” Suggested Aang, cracking his knuckles only to gasp in pain. Zuko laughed at that and Sokka spared a long enough glance to see the firebender smile, it was small but genuine and made his heart- nope, not thinking about that.

“That's not fair either, I grew up in the South Pole without any knowledge of the different cities!” Argued Katara, crossing her arms and pouting.

“Sokka knows loads of cities and he's also from the South Pole.” Pointed out Zuko, no doubt annoying the waterbender immensely but making Sokka smile a little as he was still trying to concentrate on his map.

“Yeah, but that's because he's constantly looking at maps and stuff.” She grumbled, gesturing towards her brother.

“Speaking of maps, I need help over here. Whilst you guys were having fun I've been trying to figure out a route to Omashu.” Sokka turned towards his friend, sister and… Zuko, and pointed annoyedly to the center of the map. “We're here, Omashu is there, and a whole bunch of Fire Nation Soldiers are there. See the problem?”.

They all looked at the map blankly for a few seconds and then at each other, before shrugging. Katara then glanced up at the mountains in question and made a measuring motion with her hand.

“Any way we could sneak through on foot?” She asked, looking back at Sokka.

“Unless there's some magical passage through the mountains, then no.” Replied Sokka, wiping his brow before beginning to study the paper before him even more meticulously.

He did that for a few moments, before he was interrupted by Zuko tearing the map from his hands and making a shushing gesture.

“There's someone here.” He whispered, his eyes darting around the surrounding trees as he sat extremely close to Sokka, not moving back to his original position on the other side of the saddle.

Everybody stayed quiet until they began to hear… Music? Singing? And Zuko’s serious front melted into confusion and he gained a softer, cuter expression- damn, Sokka had to stop letting himself think that way. Then, once the singing sounded just a few feet away, a bunch of strangely dressed travellers burst forward from forest, waving happily at Appa and their little group.

“Hello there! What's up with you guys?” Asked the leader lazily, still strumming on his banjo quietly but, thankfully, no longer singing.

“Uhh…” Muttered Sokka, completely bewildered by the singers and the entire situation in general.