Chapter Two (Edited 08/2021)

The ride to Ella's house was stiff, it felt.

We were both confused and somewhat hurting from just how terrible the confrontation with mom had been. When we finally took off, Ella was still shaking.

"I don't know what came over me." She muttered as she drove down the road, the house we grew up in becoming smaller and smaller until it disappeared entirely. "I took a lot of abuse from her, but when she called you a disappointment I.." She shook her head, as if trying to shake the anger out. "I snapped."

"It's okay." I replied easily, though my heart was still pumping with adrenaline. "That's exactly what a disappointment would do."

We laughed a bit, easing some of the tension, but the conversation died off as we rode.

Ella's house wasn't the same one I remembered. But of course, it's been a while since I've been there, and with three kids, she needed an upgrade.

And upgrade she did.

"Woah." I mumbled when we pulled into the driveway and saw her house before us.

We weren't exactly poor growing up, but even the newer home mom bought wasn't a looker like this one. It was pretty standard for lower middle class, but Ella's place was definitely much nicer.

Seeming bashful, she tried to downplay it. "Well, when Jason passed.." She swallowed, as if admitting his death was still too much for her. "He had life insurance. It wasn't a whole lot, but enough to put a down payment on a house and get some new furniture." I raised a brow. I think we have different opinions of 'not much.'

As if reading my mind, she laughed. "Fine. He chose a good life insurance package, okay?." I joined in on her laughter, and she pulled around to the front.

It looked Victorian, but like it had been somewhat modernized. There was a porch that was littered with toys and patio furniture for sitting outside with the kids. The house was painted white, and looked to be recently touched up as the color was bright against the sun.

"It's really pretty." I said, and it was true. I was in love with it. I dreamed of someday owning a house similar to it. Or just in general.

"I'm a bonafide adult now, Ems. I have a mortgage." She gave me a grin as she unbuckled and opened her car door, stepping out to help me with my bags.

We carried my things inside, only to be interrupted by the yells of a girl.

"Get out of my room! How many times do I have to tell you?!" The shouts came from upstairs, and I could only imagine it was the eldest child, who I haven't seen since she was a toddler.

"We used to share a room before! Why can't I come inside?" A tiny voice whined back, almost being muffled by the walls and flooring.

"Get out!" Lacey screamed again, and there was a slam of a door. Not thirty seconds later came crying, presumably by the smaller voice. A different, softer voice mumbled something and her wails quietened down until there were peals of laughter.

Ella smiled at me as I listened to it all in interest. Children weren't something I was used to. I was the baby in the family, and we never really met any of the distant relatives. It was always Ella, me, and mom. Dad's family never came around, or acknowledged us. The idea of a large, loud family like this was a surprise.

A pleasant surprise.

A woman who looked to be in her fifties or sixties turned the corner as she was on her way to the kitchen, but startled when she saw us. "Oh! Ella, I'm sorry dear, I didn't hear you come in. Welcome home! And who is your guest?"