Chapter Ten (Edited 08/2021)

I guess I had a very narrow idea of how churches really worked, because I really wasn't expecting Norman to get a reply to an email about a spooky box, but not even three full days later, there it was.

The church actually had quite a few people who spoke clear enough English to read and reply to his message, and apparently many more that had information on the box and the demon that resided in it.

Norman had come over to show me, and since he informally met El and the kids after the shower incident, we just decided to have El join us on trying to figure out what to do about it. This involved her kids, after all. But she was touched that I had shouldered literally fighting a demon to save her kids.

I had left the house earlier that day and turned in my resignation letter. I didn't particularly like that job, but it gave me the funds it would take to go to college. But after all of this that was going on, I had no idea when I'd be able to go back to work, and El said she'd need me to continue babysitting until she could hire a new nanny.

It was Lacey that spoke up, saying that she'd prefer if I was their nanny permanently. Taking into consideration her attitude and general disdain for people, this was surprising. But I had to admit that we've been through a lot of things together and I think the fact I believed her and started doing something about the situation really pushed aside the 'angsty preteen' outlook and formed a pretty solid bond. Even Lance agreed that he'd prefer aunt Em to babysit. I think it's obvious Lilly was over the moon about it, as was Harly.

With a 5-0 vote on yes, it was decided that my job would be to take care of the kids full time until I decided to go to college. I hated taking money from El, but she swore she'd never spend all of the money her late husband left her in this lifetime, and that she was more than happy to help pay for my college.

Lance took Lilly to the living room where he, very patiently might I add, played video games with her to distract her and Harly from the conversation going on in the dining room about what to do.

Norman didn't hold back on his ghost nerd talk, and I could tell Ella was surprised and even confused. I shot her a text.

"You'll get used to it."

The email the church sent was actually rather informative. They recognized the box and the tale very extensively. Apparently the church hadn't rumbled with too many demons in it's time, so the legend was passed down through the generations of clergymen in hopes that their flame never died.

Norman had sent the original email with photos of the box and a description of what's been going on lately. The church agreed that it sounded like Harly was indeed the demon they trapped inside the box, and asked us for a few more details, which is where I came in.

"Norman,

It appears that the box currently in your possession is indeed the box that the demon Ilkasepth had once been contained in.

We also noticed that the box had been opened, which is very surprising. Our ancestors had been very proud at the fact that the box should have been impossible to open. We must ask, how did it become that way?

The little girl who has struck a friendship with the imaginary friend by the name of 'Harly' indeed seems to be Ilkasepth's next target.

From what we know of the legend, Ilkasepth will make friends with small children, posing to be a young child himself. Why he even bothers to make friends is a mystery, as we assume he could consume the children without their trust regardless.

I didn't like the sound of that. Lilly has been playing with Harly a little over two weeks now, and he could have 'consumed' her at literally any point? We kept reading, hopeful for an answer.