Chapter Six (Edited 08/2021)

I've seen enough horror movies to know better than to ignore the kids when they start pointing fingers at ghosts. Nothing good ever came of it. The adult thinks it's their imagination, they ignore them, and then something that could have been prevented blows out of proportion and people die. Well, people have already died, and following the stereotypical way of things, I blamed a toddler for pushing a nice old woman down the stairs. I was part of the problem.

Monologuing aside, I really didn't know what to do about the situation. Call a priest? Buy some sage and lavender? I couldn't very well move out of the house, it wasn't even mine. These kids were looking to me for help and I was useless. I was helpless.

I reassured them that I was going to see what I could do. Neither of their arms were seriously injured, just a little bruised up. I didn't feel the need to take them to a doctor or hospital. Especially because I knew they wouldn't believe that a ghost did this. They'd probably think the horrible new aunt did it out of, what, envy? No thanks. Like I said, I've seen a lot of horror movies. I know how this will go.

Instead, I looked to the internet for help.

I know, real reassuring. I'm sure everything on the internet is absolutely true and definitely helpful. But let's be honest, I'm completely out of my element here. Without my sister, I've basically been alone my entire life. Now I suddenly had these people in my life, and damn it, I loved them. And I'll be right damned if I let some spectral entity hurt my family.

"Aunt Em?" A little voice called out behind me and chills shot straight down my spine. I switched tabs instantly, moving from a general Google search for 'how to get rid of ghosts' to my Facebook page. "I thought you were gonna take a nap?" Lilly asked, and I finally turned to face her, forcing a smile onto my face. If Harly has attached itself to Lilly, he was most definitely here right now, and I'm willing to bet he can read. I wasn't taking any chances.

"Sorry, Lil," I answered, gesturing vaguely to the computer. "I got distracted when I came to get some blankets." If she thought I was lying, she didn't say anything.

"Is it almost time to eat?" She whined, coming closer and scrambling into my lap. It was strange, she felt heavier than normal. I had only been here for a few days but I could definitely tell that she weighed more than she had a few days ago.

I lifted her up, surprised at how much I struggled to do so. "Uh, you feel like you already ate without me." I jiggled her, making her laugh, but slid her into the floor, down my legs like a ramp.

"I didn't eat," she denied, laughing as she rolled on the floor. "Except for breakfast. But maybe Harly had a snack." She cast a glance to an empty spot beside her, and I felt the hairs on my arms raise up again. I didn't want to talk about Harly right now.

"How does pizza sound? That way we can stay inside and be lazy." I suggested, standing up and trying to avoid the area I assumed 'Harly' was sitting in. She leapt up as well, excited at the thought of pizza.

"Cheese, please!" She shouted, zipping down the hall and yelling to her siblings. "Pizzzzzzzza!" I admired her energy.

I glanced at the computer and right clicked the internet browser, closing out the tabs I had open. I hadn't found anything that seemed like good information. Priests, sage, the works. I'd just have to try all of them. But if Harly could grab the kids' arms, was he sentient enough to know a priest and why he had come?

Pizza went off without a hook. Everyone wanted different flavors, but I bargained and got half pizzas so everyone could get a few slices of what they wanted and still save money. I know Ella didn't care about the money, but I did. Old habits die hard. I tucked Lilly, and Harly by default, into bed and went upstairs to tell the other two to get into bed as well. Lance was in Layla's room now, sitting on her bed, holding a stuffed animal.