Chapter 4 ~ A Family Dinner

Manik

I lied down on my bed, placed my arm below my head and stared at the ceiling.

How had I gotten so lucky?

She had actually said yes.

It had been hours but I couldn't believe it.

She had actually said yes to marrying me!

"You liked her?", I heard a voice and I looked at the door to find Mom behind me.

I nodded, "Yes, Mom."

Mom slowly said, "I don't know what your decision or her decision would be but we'll always be there for you, okay?"

I nodded, "Yes, Mom."

"Piyali has invited us for dinner tonight so get ready in ten minutes."

I nodded, "Okay, Mom."

Mom smiled and left the room.

I walked to my cupboard and pulled out a couple of shirts, contemplating which one would look good on me. I finally settled on a black shirt with beige pants.

I smiled at my reflection in the mirror, who would have thought I was that strict teacher who annoyed the life out of his students?

~~

"Rohit, Ana Bhabhi, Manik, please come in!", Yash Uncle said as he opened the door.

Two minutes later, I saw Nandini emerge from the kitchen. She was wearing a simple yellow salwar with her hair swept to one side and jhumkas adorning her ears.

She hugged Mom and Dad and stood beside Piyali Aunty.

A moment later, a couple walked out of the kitchen and Nandini introduced both of them to Mom, Dad and me, "This is Alia and Arshad, my best friends."

Arshad smiled and walked to Mom, "Ana Aunty? I didn't know I would meet you again and like this!"

Did they know each other?

Mom laughed, "Nandini told me about you so I was expecting to meet you."

Alia walked to me and held out a hand, "Alia Jaffri."

I shook her hand, "Manik Malhotra."

She smiled, "Nice to meet you."

I smiled politely, "Same here."

Arshad came and hugged me, "Hi! I am Arshad Ali Khan, Alia's husband and Nandu's best friend."

I smiled, "Manik Malhotra."

He whispered in my ears, "Treat her right or else she has three brothers to set you right."

"I'm sorry, what?", I asked, a bit alarmed.

"Cabir, Abhimanyu and I will kill you if you hurt her!", he snarled.