Chapter 3 ~ Choti and Badi

Nandini

I woke up at six in the morning, quickly brushed my teeth, descended the stairs and walked into the living room.

Mumma was sitting on the sofa, reading the newspaper.

"Good morning, Mumma!", I said as I hugged her.

Mumma pulled my cheeks, "Good morning! Sleepy Nandu is so cute!"

I smiled and cuddled with her, "I couldn't sleep past six. Bhaiya is most probably going to get up tonight!"

Mumma ran a hand through my hair, "Abhi is still sleeping. Poor boy, he is so tired."

I nodded, "Bhaiya had a very busy day at work yesterday."

"What about you?", Mumma asked.

I smiled, "Eleven appointments, I was so tired by the time we came back home."

Mumma nodded, "I had one high risk delivery yesterday. We were successful in saving the child as well as the mother."

"Congratulations, Mumma!", I squealed.

Mumma slapped her hand on my lips, "Do you want to wake the neighbours?"

"No, Mumma!"

Mumma caressed my cheek and asked hesitantly, "Did you like Manik?"

I looked up at her and replied slowly, "I did."

"Good morning, Piyali Aunty!", I suddenly heard a voice behind us.

I immediately got up and turned around to see Manik in a jogging suit standing at our doorstep.

Mumma turned around and beamed, "Manik beta! Come in!"

Manik walked in and stared at me. He looked confused.

"Umm- I thought we were going for a walk.", he stuttered.

I nodded slowly and glanced at my watch.

It was fifteen minutes past six.

"I didn't know you would come so early. I'll be back in ten minutes, please sit.", I replied nervously and gestured to the sofa.

He nodded and sat down beside Mumma and they started talking.

I ran upstairs and took a bath in exactly three minutes. I slipped into my jogging suit, tied my hair into a ponytail, picked up my phone and ran down the stairs.

"How many times have I told you to not run up or down the stairs?", Mumma scolded.

I smiled sheepishly, "Sorry, Mumma."

Manik smiled, "Exactly ten minutes."

I laughed, "I'm a doctor, I understand the importance of every minute."

Mumma smiled, "Manik, Nandu, take your time. It's a Sunday, everyone will wake up late."

Manik nodded, "Okay, Aunty."

"Bye, Mumma!", I said as I hugged her.

"Bye, Nandu. Manik, tell Ana that I'll call you and your family over for dinner tonight."

Manik nodded, "Sure, Aunty. Bye!"

Mumma smiled, "Bye!"

Manik and I stepped out and Manik took a minute to wear his shoes which he had removed outside the threshold.