16

Na'Jai

••••

I was a nervous, anxious wreck. Sitting aside Nas as he slept, I watched him intently. I never wanted to be sitting here watching him fight for his life. This was so hard to see, but I'm glad Chana is here to help me through it.

"I'm going to go get some coffee. Do you want some?" Chana asked.

I nodded yes and watched as she got up to leave. Grabbing Nas' hand, I rubbed my thumb over his soft skin. Softly speaking to him and telling him how much I love him, I felt his hand squeeze mine. He can't talk due to the breathing tube, but he has been responsive.

"What happened to him?" I heard a familiar voice say.

Looking towards the door I saw my mom and dad. My stomach turned with disgust. She hasn't really been a good mother over the past years. My dad walked in behind her with a slight scowl on his face.

"Car accident. Was hit by a drunk driver."

My mom's face scrunched up as she acted like she didn't believe me. She stepped closer and got a better look at him. He had tubes everywhere and it wasn't something that a sister wanted to see.

"Babe they ran out of creamer, but I have lactose free milk.." Chana said, her voice fading off.

My parents looked back towards the door and when they saw who it was my mom's face frowned up. I knew she would react this way, but I didn't care. I'm not going to hide who I love for her acceptance.

"My girlfriend. Anymore questions?" I said, attitude evident.

Chana walked over and wrapped her arm around my waist

Chana walked over and wrapped her arm around my waist. I could see just how uncomfortable and homophobic my parents are.

"That's nasty. The both of you are going to hell."

I chuckled and told her I'd see her there. She raised her hand to slap me but I beat her to it. I slapped her with both sides of my hand. I'm not that shy, little girl that I was growing up.

"I'm a grown ass woman now. That disrespect shit ain't gone fly. I called you because the doctors weren't sure if Nas would ever wake up. Now you see your son, be gone."

Our dad grabbed her hand and escorted her out the door. They took a seat outside the room and waited for the next update from the doctor.

•••

By now Leona and Tae were sitting alongside Nas. They were talking to him and laughing and giggling. Ever so often his hand or finger would twitch and I think that eased their mind.

In walked the doctor with a clipboard. He had a slight smile on his face so our spirits were lifted. Standing to our feet we gathered in front of him and waited.

"He's still dealing with head trauma. We'll monitor him closely. He should come out of his coma soon. Just keep talking to him and being positive. That goes a long way honestly."

We all nodded and thanked the doctor. Leona and Tae went back to having a conversation with him. I snapped a few pictures of the three, just in case Nas didn't remember any of these. Chana left about an hour ago to go get clothes and food for everyone.

It made my heart warm that Nas was loved the way he is. Cameron still hasn't shown or called. Something wasn't right about that situation. When Nas wakes I hope he remembers enough to explain what else happened.