Chapter One

"I don't want to go to a party."

"Shush."

"But—"

"You want to go," Nancy said and smirked as she brought her car to a full stop in front of my house. She turned her head to the side and one thinly plucked eyebrow rose. "It will be fun, Nora."

"Says you." I moaned, rolling my eyes as I rushed to get out of her car, the heat immediately pressing down. I felt torn between trying to slow my steps to avoid Nancy's plan or hurrying to get out of the June sun.

Nancy rounded the front of her car to catch up to me. She planted her hands on my shoulders from behind to guide me up the stairs to the front door of my house. "Stop stalling. It's not a party, it's a luau!"

"What's the difference?"

I jumped as the front door slammed behind us, echoing to announce our arrival. The cool air inside the house washed over my skin to settle at the base of my spine, a tickle threatening to become a shiver. The large ceilings and widened halls afforded us ample room to move side-by-side. Still, I felt like there wasn't quite enough room for us to continue to walk single-file.

"Oh, my God! It's not that bad!" Nancy laughed.

I forced a smile as Nancy continued to guide me towards the kitchen. Her hands felt like weights. "Perspective."

"Hey, Vavila!" Nancy called out, ignoring me. "Can I steal Nora tonight? Todd's having a luau for his birthday!"

Silence responded.

"Humph." Nancy almost face-planted my back as I paused in the entry to the kitchen. I heard her feet shuffle back a step, the pressure of her hands on my shoulders dropping.

"Mom? You home?" I poked my head into the kitchen and saw her sitting cross-legged on a stool around the island in the middle of the room. She glanced at me and held a finger up while keeping her cell to her ear. "Whatcha do—?"

"Another is missing? How old?" She darted her gaze from me to the floor, her voice a whisper. The black leather cushion on the metallic bar stool rubbed as my mother tried to turn her body away. Her long dark hair obscured her face. "Are you sure?"

Missing?

If it wasn't for Nancy's foot tapping the floor behind me, the quiet might steal my ability to breathe. I tried to listen, but her impatience combined with the thrum of my heart beat like a drum in my head. Nancy pressed against me from behind, unfazed.

"No. That makes no sense," my mother said. She darted her eyes toward me and away again. "Okay. Yes. Call me when you hear more. I want to know all the details. The minute anything happens. No. I have to go."

"Mom?" I asked as she disconnected the call. My chest constricted as a flinch crossed her features. The shiver that tickled the base of my spine as we entered the house danced up towards my neck. "What's going on? Is someone missing?"

My mother looked at her phone and then me. She opened her mouth, then shook her head. Before she could answer, her eyes moved behind me. Nancy nudged me from behind, causing me to stumble. A second later, Nancy barreled through the doorway with a smile, breaking the tension. My mother forced one in return. Her gaze found mine over Nancy's shoulder as they hugged. A crease formed at the corners of her mouth as she pinched her lips together.

"Vavila, you don't mind if I take Nora to a party tonight, right? It's a luau and there are tikis and karaoke. It has a dress code and so much fun!" Nancy said all in one breath, her voice squeaking. She sucked in a breath and nodded. "Please?"