Chapter Fifty-Eight

Later that night, I sat at my desk and began reading through the memories that guests had written down about my mother at the gathering we'd held at my home in Briarville after her death. It had only been a few weeks, but I couldn't procrastinate any further. I printed each memory individually and pasted them into an online scrapbook. Once that was finished, I inserted pictures, though it felt like I had to shut down the piece of my brain that missed my mother to do it.

Finally, I saved the file to a flash drive and stored it in my bag so I could drop it at a printing shop. I had already chosen its format and knew the paper I wanted. By the end of the week, my promise would be fulfilled. I still had to figure out a way past Devland's spell so that they could be mailed.

Devland, obviously, wouldn't help me.

Maible, although sweet, was under someone's spell, and I assumed it was Devland's after seeing how she acted around him.

Calin had said he'd help me—all I needed to do was ask.

The next day flew by. After dropping Maible off, I took the file to the printing shop and was told to pick up the order the following morning. I skipped first period to get the completed books and then went to find Calin, which, after already lugging the box into school, I did—beside my car.

"Nora." He nodded as though it was perfectly normal to find him there. "Do you need a hand with that?"

I smiled. "Actually, I was hoping that you could take them?"

"Sure, just pass them here and I'll throw them in your car." He held out his arms to take the box.

"No, I mean mail them for me." I looked away, refusing to meet his eyes.

"Why? They are already stamped. Can't you just put them in a mailbox?"

"No." I shook my head. "I, uh, can't do that."

"Why?"

"Because they'll come back return to sender, okay?" I huffed. "I thought you said you'd help me if I ever needed it? It's a compilation of memories guests at the circle held for my mom wrote down, and I promised to do this. Then Devland made it so that I can't contact anyone long distance and I—I can't."

"Nora—"

I set the heavy box at his feet and pointed at it with jerky motions. "I made one for your mom, too, you know. I thought you would do it if—well, never mind."

I rubbed at my eyes quickly and bent for the box, frustrated. I guess I could ask Luna or be weird and bribe some kid with cash or candy. It was stupid. I never should have had to beg someone to mail my post.

"Nora, give me the box," Calin demanded and held out his arms again.

"You'll mail them?" I sniffed and held on.

"I promise." He nodded and reached out, wriggling his fingers at me.

I sniffed again and placed the box into his hands. My arms felt like jelly after holding it for so long. Watching him as we walked, I asked, "Why are you at my car?"

"My mom gave me something to give to you." He shrugged and nodded to his own car for me to follow. "She's turned me into her messenger boy."

"What is it?"

"I don't know, she wrapped it up." He hefted the box and stopped beside his trunk. "Can you grab my keys for me? They're in the right-hand pocket of my, uh, my jeans."

I looked up at him with wide eyes for a moment, unsure if I'd heard him. He wanted me to put my hands in his pocket? While he was still wearing them? I can do it, I told myself, and took a step closer. I mean, his hands were full, so he couldn't.