Chapter 20

I wandered downstairs an hour later and found my mother sitting at the kitchen table. I'd talked with Julian and he was in the clear for the party tonight, which would be to Nancy's delight when we surprised her. He'd even agreed to drive. It was what I had come to think of as the highlight of the evening. If I could go.

"So, can I stay over tonight? Mom?" I was trying to get her attention as she added yet another entry into her most recent Book of Shadows.

"Who's staying with Nancy while her parents are out of town?"

"Um, the housekeeper?" Crap. "I don't know. Don't you trust me? It's not like I've ever burnt the house down or gotten myself kidnapped when you leave me home alone for a night while you're off fulfilling your so-called duties."

"You should be more respectful since you're asking me to grant you permission to go to Nancy's when her parents are away."

"Oh, come on, Mom. It's not like we are going to be doing keg stands and pass around a bong. We are teenagers. That means wanting to mingle in large groups and listening to loud music. It's not criminal."

Why was I persisting when I hadn't even wanted to go?

Maybe because Jules had said he'd come and, if I cancel now, I'd look like the same overprotected kid neighbor he'd always known me as. It shouldn't have mattered, and I knew he'd be cool with it. Like Nancy, he was a practicing witch. Neither was as dedicated as their parents, and I hadn't sought them out as though magic was a prerequisite for our friendships. It made it easier bringing them home to my mother, though. Plus, despite the normalcy I craved, I liked that I didn't have to hide that part of my life from my friends.

Of course, my mother approved more of them for being like us, as though they would rub off on me or something.

"I don't know. I don't like it."

"Jules is going," I said, knowing that would make her consider allowing me to attend. "Not to spend the night, mind you, but he will be there."

"Julian's going?" She tapped the tip of her pen against her lips and then pointed it at me. "Fine. You may go, but you may not spend the night. I want you to tell Julian and Nancy that when he leaves, you leave. Understood?"

"Yes. Thank you!" I kissed the top of her head and wrapped my arms around her too-thin frame. She patted my arm and smiled before going back to writing in her book.

"Have fun," she added as I rushed up to my room.

She was always so busy and distracted. I couldn't help but wonder if my father, who regulated the use of magic and punished those who abused it, was as dedicated. Putting the supernatural aside, could I ever be that dedicated to something?

*****

Nancy was relieved that she didn't have to pick me up. I told her that my mother had no clue her parents were going out of town and would drop me off on her way out. It was a lie, and I was amazed that Nancy didn't realize that my mother would clue in if she dropped me off and saw partygoers. Still, I wanted the fact that Julian was bringing me to be a surprise.

At eight o'clock Jules rang the bell and my mother ushered him in as I took a final look in the mirror. I could hear her telling him about her rules for the evening and groaned. You go together, you leave together, and absolutely no alcohol. I had promised myself at a young age to never, ever bring a boyfriend home to meet her. As it was, I hadn't even had a boyfriend, not unless you counted holding hands with Ryan Holmberg in seventh grade or the dare to kiss Jason.

Ugh.

After an involuntary shudder at the thought, I curbed the memory and ran downstairs.

When I reached the landing, I twirled in front of them. I had chosen netted leggings with a long, form-fitting t-shirt belted at the waist, topped with matching ankle boots and a three-quarter-sleeve black leather jacket. I'd left my hair down, steam-ironed straight. I lacked any of the innate girlie genes that Nancy had and figured the less makeup I applied, the less I risked screwing it up.

I felt self-conscious waiting for their approval, twisting the gold bangles I'd worn to match the studs in my ears. If they didn't like it, I was going back up to my room and skipping the party altogether. Jules was a good time kind of guy, so he'd go without me, and Nancy would forgive me for not going if he showed up.

"You look great." Jules was the first to speak. "I think you've grown into a girl since I saw you last."

"Don't make fun of me, Geek."

My mother laughed and shook her head.

Sure, he was gorgeous with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a chiseled jaw. Add in his quarterback build and sexy swagger even though he topped in at six-one. Yes, he was a God—I knew that—but I wasn't attracted to him.

"Drive safe, you guys," my mother called as we left the house. "If you have a drink, Jules, let Noreena drive home, okay? She has her license now."

My face burned.

"That's okay, Vavila. I like my car in one piece, so no beers for me."

I punched him in the arm as we left. I didn't like driving, but I'd never said I was bad at it. After all, I'd almost passed twice before succeeding with the third attempt to get my license.

"You're such an ass," I told him as I got into the passenger side of his burgundy car.

"Be nice or you can ride in the backseat," he threatened.

"Ha! I'm super scared now."

"So, whose party is this?"

"You remember Nancy?"

"Oh, yeah, the little tomboy, right? She's throwing a party?"

"Tomboy?" I laughed. Boys were clueless. "Yeah, she's throwing the party, but try cheerleader. Just your type, I'm sure."

"Nah, I like a little substance. Airheads aren't all they are cracked up to be," he said. "Even if they are beautiful."

"Just be nice," I warned in my best you-hurt-her-and-I-will-end-you impression. "Nancy has had a crush on you for ten years. She is my best friend, and you better not hurt her. So, if you decide to let her down and crush her fantasy, do it easy. I don't care how persistent she is. I don't like parties to begin with and if this ends with her crying all night, I will hunt you down. Got it?"

"Ma'am, yes, Ma'am!" Jules took his right hand off the steering wheel without looking away from the road and saluted in mock obedience. "No worries. I'm the picture of gentleness."

"Good."

"So, is she an airhead like the rest of the cheerleaders?"

"Not funny!" I slapped him but laughed. "She is not an airhead, though she likes people to think that sometimes. She makes honor roll every semester and is on the student council. Does that sound like a brainless dud?"

He turned thoughtful, his mouth turning up at the corner in a half-grin. "Ten years? You're not kidding?" His gaze darted to me and then back to the road, and his smile widened.

"Oh, just concentrate ondriving us there. You can make up for lost time and fawn all over each otherthen."